similar question from the bonding 2 cable modems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by goph, Oct 23, 2006.

1. goph

goph ᅟᅟᅟᅟᅟᅟᅟᅟᅟᅟᅟᅟᅟᅟᅟᅟᅟᅟ&# 44

So in my dorm room, there's two cable plugs, and my computer has two inputs. The university has T1 connection, so if I plugged both of them in, would I get double the speed, or could I max out both connections on two simultaneous downloads, or would only one be running? Anything I can do (program wise) to utilize the two connections?

2. 7960

7960 New Member

question #1... do both wall plugs actually work?

3. goph

yes

4. goph

well? any help?

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

You want to get 2 cable modems and have them connect to 1 PC and think you'll get double the download speed?
    Yes, I've heard of them years ago but there were some draw backs that most people don't think of.

With 2 cable/dsl modem you'll have 2 IP addresses, one for each modem. When you download a file it'll be coming through only 1 of the modems. Unless you use a download manager that will create multi connections and use both modems. But when you visit a web page or play games you're only using one modem, same for using something like a torrent.
    So unless you plan to use download managers that support multi IP addresses and download really large files, it's just not worth the trouble.

If that's not what you're talking about then you might want to explain better.

The part that confuses me is that you mention that your dorm room has 2 cable plugs and that they use a T1 line. By "cable plug" you are talking about like TV cable, right? Or do you mean plugs for ethernet cables?

6. goph

ethernet, but yeah that's what I'm talking about, if it's too much hastle, I don't need it THAT bad

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

No. Worst case senario your ethernet ports are 10 mb. A T1 is 1.5 mb (and really, this is all your univerity has?). You can't saturate one ethernet port with traffic to/from the internet over a T1, much less two ethernet ports.

Also, to do it right your NICs would have to support teaming, and I doubt they do. Usually only see that with the Intel server and workstation grade cards. You could do it with Linux, but honestly if you had the knowledge to do that you probably wouldn't be asking about it.

8. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Oh it's 2 ethernet ports, in that case forget it.
    As with what I talked about the 2cable modems on 1 router, it's just not worth it.

9. goph

ok maybe it's more than T1, I get like 15-25 mb average

10. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Haha yeah, definitely more than a T1.