Silverlight

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexual Vanilla, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Microsoft, in its never-ending bid to control everything, seems to be barking up the wrong tree with Silverlight. I recently visited a website (Bungie.net) that required Silverlight to view the more advanced aspects of the site. What's the point? It's obvious Flash has secured itself as the defacto standard for online multimedia content...why even bother? :ugh:

/rant

2. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I had the same thought with Apple switching over to Intel based processors. I worked in graphic design before going back to school - but back in the day the Mac's where hands down better the way the processor broke down data for graphic purposes. Now, with Intel based processors, what the hell is the point of getting a Mac?! They are still using Core2 Duo processors and charging the same price as getting a PC with a Core i7 Quad Core with Hyper Threading...

more /rant

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

There's some really cool things about Silverlight that are geared toward some of the MS side of things from a developer's point of view. Flash can be cumbersome for certain things.

4. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

This.

I can understand older macs being a blend of proprietary hardware and cool-ass software that could justify the price, but not now.

Now they are just effectively pricing themselves out of their own market. There is a window where people will buy a mac before a PC if its only XX.XX dollars more, simply for the style. But now we are talking about outdated tech that's STILL 500-1000 bucks more than a faster PC.

5. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

Because Silverlight > Flash.

6. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

7. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Silverlight has many more APIs and with .net compatibility, you have easy going with upgrades