Silverado/Sierra 1500 WT Questions...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by sprite, Jul 12, 2006.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

I'm looking for a bare bones truck, probably just the base model Sierra/Silverado 1500 WT 4.3/4WD standard cab. I'm basically sick of having two sedans that get stuck a couple of times every winter and having to pay delivery charges to get anything larger than a vacuum cleaner from the store to the house. I had been shopping for a Tacoma, but new are too expensive and late model used are just as bad. Between the factory incentives and the fact that I can put a $3K GM Card redemption allowance towards a Silverado/Sierra I can come out with a pretty good deal.

Anyway... a few questions...

1) Anyone know what the reliability is like on the 5 speed manual vs the 4 speed auto? I know the manual would definitely give a little more kick to what is an underpowered V6, but I'm really more concerned about the long term reliability.

2) Anyone know how the G80 "automatic" rear locking differential option actually works? I'm used to a locking diff. being engaged by a button on the dash. Is this some half assed system that only work half the time, or is this an honest to goodness locker that will be effective?

2. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

5 spd is a little more sturdy than the auto....

the G80 is pure shit, 1/2 the time it works, 1/2 the time it doesn't.... If you're really concerned about having a locker in there, get an open rear, and then spend 1xx bucks on a lockright, or another type of lunchbox locker that actually works.

and I wouldn't call the 4.3 underpowered, it might be underpowered for a full size, but the motor itself is great... It might not produce tons of HP, but it produces more than enough tourque, which is what you want in a truck anyway. And, it's a solid motor that if maintained will run forever.

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

Thanks for the response IntheWorks.

How about the 4.8L V8... to my surprise the best quote I've gotten so far is for a truck with the 4.8L. About all I know about it is that it is an underbored & understroked LS1, which should bode well but those things don't always translate.

4. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

from what I've heard, the 4.8 is a nice motor.... it's the 6.0 you've got to watch out for.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would try for a 5.3L. Same gas mileage, more power.

the 4.3L is a good motor... However, isn't it only available in 2wd Silverados? I thought 4x4 made you get the V8? Even in WT.

The G80 works very well... but it loses it's gripping power over-time. It is a true locking differential because it can lock and cause a 50/50 power split. However, it's not push-button, and works similar to an LSD -- based on torque input. However, unlike an LSD, the G80 will fully lock the rear under certain conditions. Lunchbox lockers have cause problems with the GM 10-bolt. Especially when some will fully engage with little torque input.

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

Thanks for the quick answers guys.

Ended up pulling the trigger tonight after a dealer popped up at the last minute with one of those "too good to pass up" type of deals.

06' (new) Silverado K1500 WT Standard Cab, Long Box
    • - 4.8L V8
    • - 4X4
    • - 4spd. auto
    • - Towing package (hitch, 7 wire harness, transmission cooler/radiator, high volume air cleaner),
    • - Handling/towing suspension
    • - "Plow-Prep" package (larger alternator, skid plates, and fused electric supply to the front bumper...not putting a plow on it, but not complaining about the additional features either)
    • - AC
    • - Cruise
    • - G80 rear diff
    • - 40/20/40 seats and a few other smaller things I'm forgetting.

This dealer beat all my other quotes by at least $800, which is saying something considering all the other quotes were for V6's without either the towing or plow-prep packages, not to mention the 4.8L, which is $900 option alone.

Probably sounds spur of the moment, but I've been researching models / option packages / & pricing for at least a month, so I didn't feel like I was rushing things when the deal came up. I finalize the paperwork and pick it up tomorrow... if I remember I'll post some pics.

7. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

def post some pics

sounds like u made out nice and got a good truck

8. sprite

sprite Active Member

Well, looks like a basic work truck so nothing too exciting, but here are the pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Probably won't be doing much to it really... I'm definitely getting LineX applied (OTR and maybe wheel wells) shortly. Before winter I'd like to maybe pick up some snow tires and mount those on the factory wheels, and maybe pickup a little bit nicer set of wheels to put the summer tires on. We'll see.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

nice. I think they're the best 1/2-ton to get for the money.

10. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Aww man...thats the exact truck I have been looking to get now for about 2 months. I was thinking the 4x4, 4.8L V8, regular cab, long or short bed. How does the power feel on that smaller V8? I have been driving a Titan around for a little while now and am pleased with it (I don't even need that much power). The truck is pretty light for a full size so it should move it quite nicely. I am in AZ, and truck almost new (like 10k miles or less) i have seen for under 15k. That a pretty good bang for your buck.

11. sprite

sprite Active Member

Thanks guys.

popsnbeer... the power feels really good so far, but I'm driving it like an old man :rofl: . I think the specs say 285hp/295lb-ft, which is more than I need. I didn't really care about short/long bed either, but from my test drives the long beds did seem to ride a little better.

12. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Hmmm, maybe I will go test drive a long bed this weekend then. If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying for it. Before all of your coupons and discounts ;)

13. sprite

sprite Active Member

Pricing broke down about like this (approx)...

MSRP Sticker was a shade over $24K. Dealer knocked that down to $21,500. There is a $3500 cash allowance (for everyone) from GM on regular cab Silverado/Sierra. I had a $3K redemption allowance on our GM Card to use, so it was about $15K wholesale. Figure in Tax, Title & License and it was a little over $16K before our trade and down payment.

14. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Perfect, thats about what i figured after all the incentives and shtufff. Thx

15. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

damn nice truck

16. 91RS

91RS If this flag offends you... you need a history les

I don't know if this well help, but my dad has a 94 Sierra 1500 with the 5.7L. It's got 280k miles on it now and the only problems he's ever had with it was the transmission. It's been rebuilt twice, but if I remember right it wasn't done right the first time and that's why it had to be done again.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the 4L60E isn't known to be the most robust transmission. Rebuilds are common.

18. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Not really, 4L60E is pretty reliable, especially if you use a chip to firm the shifts up. Like any transmission it more depends on the worker who assembled it, and how well he felt like doing his job that day.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, I know some chevy techs, and they all agree that the stock 4L60E is kinda weak. I tend to agree.

20. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

A good tranny cooler will prolong their life alot.

21. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

It's only a light/medium duty trans, the largest engine it's put behind is the 5.3 liter currently, everything larger uses the 4L80E which is far stronger. I have the TH700 in my truck, same thing as the 4L60E just without the electronic control, it's gone about 225,000 miles without being touched and still shifts and holds gears like new, and I'm not gentle with it :)

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I had a 4L60E go out on me at 75K miles. I'm at 152K right now and I'm worried that it'll go out again :( We'll see. I'm hoping it lasts another 6 months and then I'll buy a new offroad rig. Would I be cool if I bought a brand-new Xterra and then torched the front IFS off the next day and put a solid axel under it :rofl: good-bye warranty! :mamoru:

At least the new Tahoes (and the new Silverado/Sierra, when it comes out) uses the 6L80E... Much better trans.

23. SierraSport

SierraSport New Member

MY 4l60e only made it 36,000 miles, but that is because I use to race the truck and it had a 125 shot on it .. :big grin:

I love my 4.8 in my truck, it has gone through hell and back and it doesnt miss a beat .. My advice on the lockers is once they start to take a crap just replace them with Eatons or one of those companies lockers.. That is what I did and I love it ..

24. sprite

sprite Active Member

I'm not too worried about the tranny as I won't be doing any wheeling or regular towing with it, and my day to day driving is pretty laid back. It does have the trans cooler in it since that is part of the factory tow package, so that is good.

It goes in for LineX OTR tomorrow :naughtyd:

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

nice. I just priced out my dream Sierra 2500HD at $47k MSRP and a dealer quote got me $40,500 :noes: I'm gonna wait tho... I think the 2007 GMT900 re-design will be worth it.