silly questions time

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by eXyle, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

working within ideal parameters, on a normal (6 months each or 3 months each???) bulking/cutting cycle, how long would it take to add 25 lbs of muscle post-cut? My first gains were ~15 lbs after 20 weeks (2 HST cycles), but I'm assuming the majority of those gains were noob gains. I know there are a lot of variables that I need to consider, but just wanted a best case scenario (no anabolics).

Next, how do I work out my hamstrings. I started off with hamstring curls on a machine, but stopped. I've been doing straight-back straight-leg deadlifts for a couple of months now.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html

The thing is, it feels like only my semitendinosus is growing, while the long head remains a tiny little muscle fuck.

If I recall correctly, although deadlifts are a compound exercise, they are supposed to "target" the hamstrings. However, the exrx site says the hamstrings are just stabilizers

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBDeadlift.html

I guess the question is, what exercise should I do to work out my hamstrings correctly/evenly?

Those are the only questions for now, I'm sure I'll think of more stupid shit to ask later on.

Thanks.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

glute ham raises, pullthroughs, SLDLs, RDLs, 45* Back Raises performed properly

3. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

I bulk or cut for about 8-10 weeks at a time, then maintain for about 4 weeks in between each. this is how I was taught, it works for me I suppose but I have no rational why it is good/better to do it my way. I was told though that you stay leaner when you bulk more often for a smaller amount of time, which my or maynot be true.

4. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

dont ever lock out ur knees like that. that .gif needs to be removed. it's STIFF legged , not exactly straight legged. romanian DLs are a far better movement and allow more recruitment of glutes and hammies.

5. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

Agreed. The first couple of times, I locked my knees out, but when I brought the weight down, it felt like my knees were going to bend the wrong way, so I stopped locking them out.

I just looked up RDL's and it appears that's what I've been doing this whole time. I'm assuming this exercise works all the muscles within the hamstring and the only reason why I feel like the "outside" part of my hamstring is lacking is because I have yet to start bulking again and actually add any mass to my frame (muscle of course, I got the fat part covered). Last time I bulked, I was doing leg curls.

I'll stick to RDL's for now and then throw in some of those other exercises MaineSucks recommended when I bulk again.

Thanks.

6. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

hhmmm, each HST cycle is 8 weeks with a 2 week deconditioning period, so I may try the 10 week bulk/cut cycle.

About how much muscle would you say you add doing this 8-10 week cycle?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.