GUN Silencers??

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 007, Oct 14, 2002.

1. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

I really need to know where to get a silencer, id be willing to buy one, and then get the gun to match it 2.

2. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

Silencers are illegal... or atleast they used to be :dunno:

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

You need to find a "Class 3" gun dealer in your state. They will be able to give you the forms to apply for a federal tax stamp to possess a suppressor. It will cost you $200 for the tax stamp plus the cost of the suppressor (expect at least $400-700). The application needs to be signed by the chief of police or other issuing authority in your city/county of residence and then you return it to the Class 3 dealer and he submits it to the ATF for you. It will likely take at least 90 days to find out if you are granted the stamp or not.

This is assuming they are legal in your state at all.

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

legal in GA. i know because there's a place about 5 minutes away from me that makes and sells them. maybe you've seen them advertise in the magazines. advanced armament. here in Lilburn, GA. my friend is waiting on his to finish being built. it'll be capable of handling full auto, because it may end up on his select-fire AR. 30 dB reduction dry, which only allows you to fire the rifle without ear protection. won't suppress fully. yeah, tax stamp if legal. speaking of tax stamps, the vector uzi he's got on the way will be nice. and if i misspelled "vector" it's because i've never seen the comany's name written out.

5. kellyclan

There's a company by the name of Smigett that makes excellent 5.56mm suppressors, as small as about 3" long and sound signature of the MP5SD with regular ammo. They are made by TLG Manufacturing, but their website is down, i don't know for certain if they sell to non-LEO/government.

6. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Q should have that for you :o

7. footratfunkface

8. footratfunkface

9. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

Ruger MkII .22, 22oz big slam bottle, duct tape and subsonic ammo. You can't really hit anything with accuracy, but the first shot is pretty quiet.

10. 35thss

35thss Guest

11. jorgeva

jorgeva New Member

How loud is a suppressed pistol shot? (a 9mm for example) I assume it isn't a "pfft" like you see in the movies, but I don't really know.

12. footratfunkface

it depends heavily on the supressor and the ammunition. subsonic ammo will make a great difference, as the initial sonic boom coming from the bullet breaking the sound barrier will no longer be present. with that gone, the effectiveness of the suppressor will be much greater, however, accuracy suffers with decreased muzzle velocity. check the links i gave to advanced armament, which tell a good deal about suppressors. most of the ones they make are about a 30dB reduction or so, which, with normal ammo, will only make it quiet enough to fire your firearms with no hearing protection. most earplugs and ear-muffs are 30dB reduction too.

13. kellyclan

It's actually a lot like that or so variation of such sound, it varies with the design of the suppressor. With subsonic ammo, the most noise you hear is the bolt ejecting the spent casing and loading a new round. An MP5SD is more of a "chuff" than a "pfft", for example.

14. g0dl355

g0dl355 New Member

i just wanted to know

in the movies, when they put one on, it screws INTO the barrel, and not onto it

I know movies arent real and all, but is that how some really work?
    If thats true, seems to me it would screw up the bore?

:dunno:

15. kellyclan

That's just movie stuff.

IRL, the threads are on the outside of the barrel. Some suppressors have quick attachment systems that use a clip/latch type attachment instead of threads, but none of them actually go into the barrel.

16. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

My uncle is a Master Machinest. He has his own machine shop and has a love for guns.

17. fireman9500

fireman9500 Guest

well, if you really need one.........the H&K USP tactical 45 is the choice of SF and such. pre-threaded barrel. just join the military and put in for special forces selection, or go look in the back of your local milita suburban.

18. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

...or, you could simply buy the H&K Mark 23...but that might too easy? :dunno:

19. nt

nt Guest

made one before. used a ruger mk II. really all you need is a good drill press, some aluminum tubing/end caps (found in most hardware stores), and fiber glass insulation.

*snip* - per NFA 1934, manufacturing of a suppressor requires an ATF Class 2 manufacturing license. If you would like to risk the $250,000 fine and 10 years for felony possession, there are plenty of web sources for making your own suppressor, but OT isn't one of them. ;) -Kelly

extremely quite. really all you hear is the air. i shot the hell out of a phone book inside my apartment.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2002
  20. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

I just got a Costal can for my company's Mac 11/nine. With subsonic ammo it sounds like a full auto paintball gun or an electric typewriter, not movie quiet, but it doesn't sound ANYTHING like a firearm. Kinda errie, here you are spitting out 2,000 RPM of FMJ 9mm and it feels/sounds like a toy.

With standard ammo its still painfull to shoot without hearing protection.

I've also got a can on my .22 bolt action. with subsonic all you hear is the click of the firing pin and the "thwap" of the round hitting the target.

JK

21. footratfunkface

my friend got his supressor from advanced armament last week. if you want to see it, his exact one, serial number and all, is on the cover of this month's Special Weapons magazine. it has about 32 dB reduction, which makes it so you can shoot it without ears, but i wouldn't do it indoors more than once or twice. it's just a hair softer than .22 long. no ringing in the ears, but it's not something i'd do too often without ears. also, he threw a .22 conversion kit on one of his AR's with the suppressor. he said that the only thing you heard was the bolt. just a clacking sound. also, because this can is not ported, the recoil is cut just about in half. but, it does add about 1.5 lbs to the muzzle, which, on an M4 barreled AR, throws it way out of balance. he said that the forward grip helped with that a ton.

for a complete review of his, and one other .223 suppressor, grab this month's Special Weapons for Military and Police. it's also got a .50 bmg suppressor, and a .300WSM suppressor.

22. :eek3:

23. Furner

Furner New Member

this thread is full of illegal activities and ignorance. Ppl, dont try and be cool and tell us you built a suppressor, you probably didnt, and if you did, I doubt you got the permit. Dont go around talking about doing something illegal. Thats what gets you busted.

24. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

ill never be able to get one. :( hispanic male wanting to put one on an assault rifle :(

25. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

Werd. that shit is not worth jail time over