SRS Signs of stroke? :(

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mars Princess, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Mars Princess

Mars Princess They hatin'

My neighbor just came over and urged my dad to go to the hospital. I overheard my mother and dad talking about a blood vessel popping in his hand and part of his face being numb yesterday. His lip was also kinda twisted but I didn't know all that was going on. Anyone had experience with strokes or knowing people with strokes? My dad has diabetes and I am worried that this combined with his present condition (whatever it may be) will be a danger to his health

:wtc:

2. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Numbness of the face and a twisted mouth are indicators of a stroke. Some people have slurred speech, disorientation, paralysis, dizziness as well.

Diabetics are more prone to strokes anyway, he should probably get to the hospital. If it is a stroke the longer he waits the more damage could occur.

3. Mars Princess

ugh...well our neighbor drove him to the hospital. This is so fucked up :(

You never think you could lose your parents since they are around you all your life. I've watched my parents slowly age. I remember them being even more vibrant than they are now. It's kind of disorienting to see your parents have health problems. I don't know what I'm going to tell my mom when she gets back from church.

4. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

It's a numbing feeling isn't it? My dad once had a hiking accident where he went missing overnight...I remember spending that night with the sickening feeling that I just might have to cope with a life without him. It was weird seeing my mom all zoned out that night, and later once my dad was rescued, it was bizarre seeing this man I regarded as invincible completely shattered on a hospital table.

Just hang on, stay positive, be there for your mom & dad right now and support each other. :hug: As in any situation, don't panic.

5. Mars Princess

thanks. Ima try to sober up from the feeling. I'm scared cause I remember him going to the hospital for when they didn't catch that he had diabetes. He was all hooked up and it was just frightening. My dad is a big tall guy so it's kinda weird seeing him reduced to that of a weak hospital patient. I just hope everything is alright.

6. pixing

pixing New Member

I know a bit about stroke. :/

Your dad certainly had somes symptoms of stroke - it's good that he went to the hospital. Early treatment is extremely important! They have treatments that can lessen the damage caused by the stroke and certainly assess his chances to have a subsequent more debilitating stroke.

If he did have a mild stroke, he'll be kept in the hospital for a while and have a lot of tests. He'll have to see a lot of doctors and be put on medication that thins his blood.

If he smokes, make sure he stops.

Good luck, I hope everything turns out ok.

7. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

I'm sorry to hear this, Mars. I hope he got to the hospital in time to avoid anything more serious.... What you described does sound like signs of a stroke.
    Hang in there.

8. Mars Princess

I forget the exact name of what my dad said he had when he came back from the hospital but he said something about contracting some virus that can mimick the signs of a stroke. so he didn't have a mild stroke or anything. I want to say it was some form of epilepsy but I might have heard it wrong. I'm hoping he will take care of himself from now on, cut the cigarettes, and ensure his health isn't put into further jeopardy although i know some things can be out of your control. It was a scare I wasn't prepared to have, so thanks for the words everyone

9. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Good to hear. :bigthumb:

10. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I've heard of something called Bells Palsy that can cause numbness and/or muscle paralysis in the face. Was that it?

11. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Probably so.

A guy I work with has it. He woke up one morning and looked in the mirror and saw one half of his face and mouth drooping. He started moving every limb around, fearing he had a stroke. He went to the ER and was told he had Bells Palsy. They said anyone whose ever had chicken pox has a chance of getting it. The virus that causes chicken pox never really leaves you, and lays dormant. Most people will never have anything happen to them but a small percentage get the Bells Palsy, and it can happen to anyone at any age (I haven;t researched this, this is info he told me). he was given a 50-90% chance of recovering from it. It's been a few months now and he hasn't really returned to normal. Sometimes I walk by his office and when hes on the phone he has to hold up the affected half of his face with one hand so he can speak normally over the phone. It sucks, but he seems to be taking it in stride. The guy's in his late 50s, maybe early 60s and has been very healthy and in great shape in the 14 years I've known him :hs:
    The good news is it hasn't affected his health or activities. Just half his face is droopy.