Signs of computer slowing down?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by baldyguy, Nov 17, 2003.

1. baldyguy

baldyguy Deep, but not Profound

I'm currently running an Athlon XP AMD, and have an Asus motherboard. I forget what AMD chip i have... All I know is that it's 1.67 ghz. I'm also running two 512MB DDR memory. Both are generic, and they aren't any big name brand.

I do the basic maintenance every couple of months that includes, cleaning the dust out of my computer, defragmenting my computer, and doing disk cleanups etc. What signs or troubleshooting tasks to see why my computer is slowing down all of a sudden? I'm thinking it could be the RAM, or the CPU. What do you think?

2. BBB

BBB OT Supporter

its a good thing to do a format ever couple of months. That seems to fix all the problems. What kind of slowdowns are you talking about? Games? Normal windows? If its games try upgrading your video card, also make sure you have the latest updates for your version of windows, and all the hardware you have on your system.

3. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

format every couple of month :ugh: :ugh: ...only if your running ME or something below that

with Win2K and XP you shouldn't have to format every few month unless your really fucking shit up, I've had this XP machine for over 9 month and it's been fine

what O/S do you have...?? thats a big thing, and did you recently install any software or anything??

where is it slowing down? overall? generally I haven't heard of hardware slowing down over time, it either works, or it dosen't (excluding underclocking the thing)...so the O/S is what would cause that...

tell us where it's slowing down and then we can point you in right direction

4. baldyguy

baldyguy Deep, but not Profound

I'm currently running Windows 2000, I've haven't reformatted my PC since Spring 2001. haha

I do install and uninstall alot of stuff. That might be the reason?

Say I ghost my current hard drive to another hard drive, will it still be slow?

5. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

2001...I vote format

:hs:

I run norton system works and it actually cleans up the registry and crap like that and I notice a small performance increase