signs of a failing USB chipset?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Apr 21, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i bought an ide to usb adapter recently. it will read laptop and regular 3.5" hard drives, plus it will read cdroms etc. and it comes with it's own power supply. i plug it in today when i got it, it works like a charm. then i was copying some files off an old hard drive about 9/10th the way through, i get a redundancy error then i get a write delay error.
    i try not using a hub. i tried every port on my computer. i made sure to unplug all the other usb devices, so this one gets the most power
    i even ghosted my image onto another drive.
    now i get a malfunctioning device error followed by an unknown device.
    wtf
    [​IMG]

i bought this motherboard about 2 months ago from outpost.com. it's not the best, but my previous one had died after a year and a half (it was a gigabyte k8ns). this one is an ecs 755-a2

oh, i tried the usb drive in another computer, it works fine.
    does this mean my usb chipset is going to die soon? i guess it's time for a pci usb2 card

2. dorkultra

my friend had trouble like this also, except that it was with his ipod. we fixed the problem by installing a usb 2 card

3. dorkultra

also, when i plug in my ipod and a flash drive, i get the same message. but i don't get the message when i plug in my digital camera

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Could be you've got youself a mess of bad USB cords. Most likely it's the chipset, but I'd try different combinations of cords and ports before I'd buy a new board.

Another option is to buy PCI USB card to replace the onboard USB controller.

5. dorkultra

i tried everything, even my flash drive, which doesn't need a cord, i plugged it into all 8 of my usb ports.
    i don't want to go through the hassle of rma-ing my motherboard and being without this computer for a month.
    i bought a pci card on ebay, it has a via chipset. the one on my motherboard has an SiS chipset. yes, i tried reinstalling the drivers also

this should fix it. i guess buying a $50 motherboard means that it shouldn't last more than 3 months without problems

6. dorkultra

well, now it works....sometimes. i'd say my usb chipset is fucked