MIL Signing with AF any ideas as to what tob title I should try for?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by speedricer, May 11, 2005.

1. speedricer

speedricer Go SpeedRicer Gooooo

I tried to sign up about 3 weeks ago. Because I have a G.E.D. They require me to have 15 college hour credits to sign. So I'm going to college this fall.
    So hopefully early next year i'll be good to go... I would leave tomorrow If I could to get started.
    But any ideas as to what job I should be looking to do the most...
    C5Load.. Your job as Loadmaster seems like it's something I would LOVE to do.
    But If I requested doing that what are the chances that's what I would eng up doing? I scored good enough to do anything I want, on the asvab...

2. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

what are you lookin to do? have any special skills or jobs you're looking to have when you get out? do you want to see the world? stay at home?

3. speedricer

Honestly I'm plannnig to make a career out of this

EDIT: see rest of first post. I was editing it when you posted

4. C5Load

if you request it, who knows. if you go to MEPS telling them you won't sign up for anything else, it's 100%

5. speedricer

MEPS?

EDIT: also would you recommend it? Being away from home for long periods of time will not bother me at all

6. C5Load

MEPS (military entrance and processing station) (i think)

it's where you take the ASVAB if you don't do it in high school, get a medical exam (bend over and spread your cheeks), sign up for the job, raise you hand, and ship out.

and I love my job. When i'm not flying, I'm at home ALL day doing nothing :rofl:

7. C5Load

we have the same thing, it's called crosstraining.

8. speedricer

Spread my cheeks :eek3: :noes:

9. C5Load

ah, yeah... he brings up a good point. Do you have anything that would come up in a background check? arrests/money problems/etc?

10. speedricer

I was arrested once. But it was over BS.. In HS some kid said I threw a gum wrapper at his car going down the highway...
    It was dismissed.

11. C5Load

does your recruiter know about this?

12. speedricer

Honestly he didn't ask.......
    After he found out I need 15 college credits.. He pretty much focused on getting me into community college

13. C5Load

let him know. If it comes up in a background check, and they don't know about it, the chances of you getting a security clearance drop dramatically.

14. speedricer

I'll be sure to let him know first thing. Thanks for the heads up...

Is a security clearance required for loadmaster?

15. C5Load

secret. and, occasionally, you might be tasked to bring "sensitive" cargo, or go to "classified" locations. you'll get an interim security clearance to TS. As long as your recruiter knows about it, it shouldn't be a problem

16. speedricer

I will be sure to.
    I've also been running everyday... (havn't really ran much since I was 19 playing soccer) and been trying to work off the few pounds I need to lose to get ready for boot camp..

17. C5Load

i need to also :( fit test in one month.

18. speedricer

Fatty :mamoru:

Just kidding. But how often do you have to do that?

19. C5Load

once a year :rofl: and i'm 6'5 and 190. hardly fat... just all my muscle happens to be in my stomach.

20. speedricer

Well thank you both for you Talking to me about this. It's time for me to leave work. I'll be sure to check this forum out often... Glad to see a military forum

21. C5Load

morals waiver? or did you slip through the cracks?

22. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

c5, what exactly do you do?

23. C5Load

Reviews aircraft weight and balance records and cargo manifest. Determines quantity of cargo and passengers or troops to be loaded and proper placement in aircraft.

Computes load and cargo distribution. Computes weight and balance, and determines the amount of weight to be placed in each compartment or at each station. Considers factors such as fuel load, aircraft structural limits, and emergency equipment required.
    Accomplishes initial pre-flight of aircraft according to flight manuals; pre-flights specific aircraft systems such as restraint rail and airdrop equipment. Operates radios, pre-flights aerospace ground equipment, and applies external power to the aircraft. Performs in-flight and special mission specific duties as required.

Supervises aircraft loading and off loading. Uses equipment such as 25K, 40K, and 60K loaders; forklifts; and winches. Ensures cargo and passengers are loaded according to load distribution plan. Directs application of restraint devices such as restraint rails, straps, chains, and nets to prevent shifting during flight. Checks cargo, passengers, and troops against manifests.

Ensures availability of fleet service equipment such as blankets and pillows. Signs for and stows in-flight meals. Briefs passengers and troops on use of seat belts, facilities, and border clearance requirements. Dispenses meals and refreshments. Demonstrates use of emergency equipment such as oxygen masks and life vests, and ensures access to escape hatches. Monitors cargo and passengers in-flight and assists passengers as required.

Conducts cargo and personnel airdrops according to directives. Attaches extraction parachutes to cargo and platforms. Inspects cargo and platforms, extraction systems and connects static lines. Checks tiedowns, parachutes, containers, suspension systems, and extraction systems to ensure proper cargo extraction or release. Operates aircraft personnel airdrop system and supervises paratroopers exiting the aircraft.

1A251. Qualification in and possession of AFSC 1A231. Also, knowledge of types, capacities, and configuration of transport aircraft; weight and balance factors, arithmetic; cargo restraint techniques; emergency equipment and in-flight emergency procedures; using personal equipment and oxygen, communications; current flying directives; interpreting diagrams, loading charts, and applicable technical publications; border agency clearance requirements and forms; principles of dispensing and preserving food aboard aircraft; operation of cargo loading equipment; and cargo and personnel airdrop techniques and equipment.

cliff note version: you find me a piece of equipment, weaponry, etc, and tell me where you want it taken, i'll put it on the plane, strap it down, and take it there.

I basically run everything on the plane that's not on the flight deck. Oh, and I sleep a lot. and play 4 player warcraft 3 matches :rofl:

24. C5Load

99 asvab crew!

25. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

Just curious, what is the money like? Did you get a signing bonus? What is your typical day like and how often do you work? Can you leave the base while you are not working?

I don't know much about the military (obviously :o ) but I am considering joining when I graduate.