GUN signed up for my 1st IDPA match. Its a month away. and all I have is the gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ebtromba, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

finally going to be shooting at something other than paper and actually going to be moving around while doing so. Can’t wait.

Like the title says, I have my sig 229 and that’s it. I’ll be doing stock service pistol, obviously.

I have read ab13’s IDPA/USPSA EDU thread. Tons of great info in it. It should be stickied.
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3694982

Now I need a holster, mag carrier and a belt. Been looking at blade tech’s website, as I seem recall ab saying he liked them at some point. But I’m open to about anything that will work well for IDPA. equip me, ot.

also, I am about the have the mag release button on my SIG reversed to the other side, as I am a left handed. I'm severely handicapped when attempting to operating the mag release either with my left hand or by reaching around under the gun with my right hand.

anyway, I wanted to make certain this was IDPA legal for SSP, or even ESP. I cannot find anything in the rules about this mod. since it would be the same stock button, only on the other side, I'm assuming it would be ok.

2. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

What range did you go to sign up?

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Any basic strong side kydex holster for you model gun will work with the exception of the Fobus which is complete garbage. Since your a lefty it is going to be harder to get a holster for your sig. If you order from bladetech for example you might have to wait 6 weeks. Just a warning I hope they have them in stock. If you can't get a bladetech then the galico, unkle mikes, comp tac, side armor kydex holsters are all just as good. We just like the bladetech because of their cool tech lok attachment. Get a belt slide holster not a paddle. The paddle shifts too much.

The kydex is better for gun games as it is faster. Most people run the strong side kydex holsters instead of some sort of IWB leather holster for gun games. There are people that run their actual carry rigs but honestly they don't win. It's always good to run what you carry, but gun games are different than real life, and I'm the first to admit this.

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

blue ridge arsenal

6. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

How much was it to sign up? :noes:

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

8. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

yes

10. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

cool, I was looking at paddles actaully. will stay away from them for now.

many thanks

11. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

sweet. they have a lefty in stock.

I win.

I think I'm going to get the SRB you posted, or something like it, as well.

what about mag carries?
    paging ab13

12. AB13

AB13 New Member

Depends on what you want to get out of IDPA. There is a host of folks that do it for defensive shooting practice, me personally I'm what they call a "gamer". I'm there to win the "game". The fastest rig is a properly adjusted, tuned kydex holster with a good belt. Mag pouches just need to hold my pouches and adjustable.

I'd go with the Blade Tech holster, and Injected molded mag pouch. Last I checked, i found some on MidWay for under 20 bux for the mag pouches.

Paddles are generally "bad", but the Uncle Mikes works very well for me. I can draw from that holster faster than my buddies with their race holsters. It's tensioned just rite that I get no creep at all, but why I like it is it cant's the holster out more and allows me to get a clean grab. So generally they aren't the best, but for my holster the way I have it set up, I leave the $65 Blade Tech at home and bring the $10 uncle mikes holster to run at matches.

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

I honestly don't do things "different" for the sake of being different. I just use what I have found works for me, wether it be a cheap holster, or expensive holster, let the ends justify the means I guess.

14. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

thanks a bunch. yeah I hear you. use what works

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

16. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

can't find.

link?

17. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

haha. thanks, I'll be fine. the only other time I've shot anything close to a course of fire was in boot camp. and if you tried the anticipating the RO thing, I reckon you'd recieve a little more than a verbal beat down.

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i have 2 galco concealable mag carriers. it took a bit to break them in, but they're great now

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yeah they threatened to fault me on a start once. I really don't do it much anymore. The tenth of a second does not make much of a difference usually unless your shooting certain matches such as man on man shoot off american handgunner style or steel challenge.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Speaking of cheap plastic holsters for games, straight vertical or canted?

21. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Most people run them strait. You do see the race holster crowd run then with a slightly forward cant.

To me it is about the positioning of the grip. I like the back strap to ge paralell with the belt. So I can hit it with my hand square. I also like the grip one hand width away from my body (might not be able to do that in idpa). That way my hand/thumb always knows where it is. Too close to the body sometimes you jamb your thumb. To far away you sometimes hit it off center.

Now those of you with guns with exposed hammers and beaver tails will want to position the gun so you don't sometimes sting your palm with the beaver tail

Most people reading this will think "I never did any of that silly stuff drawing from my holster. That is because you knuckle heads are slow, not shooting under the pressure of the timer, and not for money, prizes, fame and glory.

22. AB13

AB13 New Member

I've experimented extensively with the various cant's, and have committed several matches to each to find what I've found works well for "me". Everyones ergonomics is different, that's why I'd rather suggest a rig that's adjustable.

Personally I'm fastest out of the holster and concealment from a straight drop. On the draw I bury the web of my strong hand deep up the beavertail of the gun, my strong hand thumb slides up and points slightly upwards to facilitate this movement of getting my strong hand as far up the frame as possible, with my trigger finger riding the slide, until I begin to clear the holster pulling up, I then rotate the gun towards the target and my support hand meets the gun somewhere by my belly, I begin to wedge my "support" hand (it's support, NOT weak hand) under the trigger guard and strong hand fingers, and I lock my support hand wrist, which is when I'm acquiring my target, and front sight and my thumbs roll forward while I prep the trigger... break the shot... pin the trigger and watch the post raise up from the notch. Shot called and I'm darting towards my next target.

The guys running their "kydex" with it parallel with the belt are guys used to running "race" holsters. I think it's a waste of movement having to pull your gun "away" from your shooting index and punch it out.

It's okay to do that with a race holster, but to "me" it's rather silly to do so with the Kydex because your barrel still has to clear the opening of the holster. You also get more drag from the natural movement that should be punching the gun out towards your target.