signal sorcerer?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by AtHomeInSpace, Jul 14, 2005.

1. as soon as i started riding, i was sick of waiting for red lights to turn for me. now that the weather is somewhat decent at night, i spend more time waiting for lights than riding on the back roads. i know its not too expensive, but i wanted to know if any of you have tried this thing thats supposed to trip the red lights before i buy a few of em: http://www.signalsorcerer.com/home.html

thx

2. dhacmbs

dhacmbs OT Supporter

it doesnt look like it would work, but i hear if you set your kick stand down on the sensor helps

3. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

When I put the kickstand down on my scooter, it kills the engine, so that wouldn't help much for me. But I do hate getting stuck at red lights.

4. Team503

Team503 Guest

y0u= teh 1d10t. Why in hell would putting down your kickstand help? If it's a weight sensor, all your weight is already on your feet and the tires - how would putting your kickstand down help? If it's an inductive loop setup, well, you're not introducing any more metal to the system.

To the OP:

Yes, they work. It's just lead or some other similar metal. Most traffic signals work on an inductive loop system. That means there's a magnetic field, and the only way to trip it is to introduce enough metal into the field to alter the field.

The problem bikes (especially sportbikes) have is that we're mostly plastic, magnesium, and various other substances that don't significantly affect magnetic fields. Generally, only the frame and sometimes wheels are a material (steel or aluminum in this case) to affect the field.

These blocks are high density metals that can affect the inductive loop enough to trigger the signal.

5. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

Some stoplights work on light sensors at night. If you are in the front and solo, try flashing your hi beams, it works here in LA

6. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

They're just a strong magnet. I've heard from a lot of riders that they don't make much difference.

7. Lick Harrass

Lick Harrass New Member

It would work by localizing most of the weight to one central point instead of being all spread out, you moron. Think before opening your mouth.

Try lifting a 10lb bag, then a 10lb bar thats 6 feet long and maybe then you'll understand.

8. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Horrible, horrible analogy. They will feel the same since the reaction force between the object and your hand is the same. Assuming the bar is held in the middle so it doesnt torque your wrist.

9. Lick Harrass

Lick Harrass New Member

OBVIOUSLY. :rolleyes: