sign of a failing power supply?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Jan 11, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

ok, over a year ago i built this computer. here are the specs:
    amd athlon 3000+
    Nikao Black Neon 400W ATX Case
    gigabyte ga-k8ns board
    2x 512mb ram pc 3200
    ati all in wonder 9600 128
    3 ide HDs (all ata 133)
    dvd burner

i use the onboard lan and onboard audio. no case fans, just processor fan. most of the time, only the main hard drive is running.
    what i have noticed in the past couple of weeks is that when i goto a website that takes a little longer to display (such as offtopics main page), i can hear the processor fan in my case kinda dip down, slow down, until the page loads, then it goes back up again.

i know this computer is nothing special at all when it comes to performance, i was just wondering if my power supply might be going bad or if my board might be drawing too much from the generic crappy power supply?
    tomorrow i'll put a bigger power supply in the computer and see if that makes a difference

2. Synner

Synner New Member

Even if the power supply isn't going out, replace that piece quick. If it's not dying now, it probably will soon.

3. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

the generic PS that came with my PC was rated at 450W (my ass) and couldn't even handle a 2nd HDD. The Aspire 520W I replaced it with is running beautifully.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

yeah, i kinda figured that was the problem. this power supply will work fine in my dads weak computer (an old 900 mhz AMD with a hard drive and everything onboard, but he's happy with it)
    thanks guys

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

A lot of cheap power supplies are rated for 220 volts, meaning that they can supply lower amperage and still have a high wattage rating. When you plug them into 110 volt power, the voltage drops and the amperage doesn't go up. So you get half of the rated wattage.