A&P sigma HSM vs Canon USM

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jhegro, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

i've played with many canon USM lenses to know that they are super fast at focusing and are silent while doing it. does anyone here have experience with both Canon USM and Sigmas HSM? im a bit strapped for cash and the sigma 70-200 2.8 is rather tempting looking vs the 70-200 f4 canon. i just wanna know if the focusing speed is comparable between hsm and usm. plz no crap about how sigma sucks and canon is better.

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

I have a couple of both and I was very supprised by sigma HSM. It squeals a bit like one of tomash's little girls though, where as usm is practically silent.

I do find HSM is slightly slower & hunts a bit more but overall very impressed.

3. mandarin orange

mandarin orange OT Supporter

:rofl:

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i prefer USM, especially in L series lenses. (they seem to be a bit more quiet)

5. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

IIRC, there are different version/variations of USM on different lens. Focus speed also depends on lens design.

As far as Sigma 70-200 f2.8 vs 70-200 f4 L goes. I think it really comes down to size and weight. Both got great optical performance. But a 70-200 f2.8 might be a bit too big and heavy to log around at times.

Also, keep in mind that the Canon AF system especially favors lens big apertures. Depending on the model of your camera some AF point will only work if you have a f2.8 or faster lens. That's something else to consider.