A&P Sigma DP1

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by emorphien, Apr 24, 2007.

1. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Anyone else anxiously awaiting more news/info on this, including the price and release date?

2. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Haven't heard of it... probably cause it'll be out of my price range and I'm happy with my Nikon D50 :mamoru2:

3. emorphien

emorphien New Member

sorry...

http://www.sigma-dp1.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0703/07030807sigmadp1.asp

Rangefinder style fixed lens camera with the same Foveon sensor as the SD14 DSLR. That's my main interest, the fact that it's a P&S camera basically with a grown up sensor. Might make a good replacement for cameras like the Stylus Epic or the Ricohs and Leicas of the world without being too expensive.

It doesn't have a built in viewfinder but they will have an attachment for the shoe, as well as a hood, for sale which IMO are likely to be required accessories (doh).

They haven't said anything more than April or May release and "well under $1000."

I've been looking for something like this for a while and while I wish it were maybe a 2.0 or 2.8 lens, the 28mm f4 is probably going to be a good performer. My friend is definitely getting one as soon as they show up so I'll wait to hear from him before I jump on it but it's looking good. Certainly a lot lighter and smaller for daily carry than my 1D MK II with a 17-40 or 50 1.4. The fixed lens is really all I'll need and it's nice because I shoot differently with cameras like this (or the stylus epic which I used to use a lot many years ago). For me something like this forces a simper, less fussy approach to photography. No changing lenses or any other nonsense, it forces me to look for the right opportunities and focus just on those and composing them well.

4. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

oh, interesting. I thought it was going to be some professional grade DSLR.

5. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

looks like a competitor to the canon S3 :dunno:

6. emorphien

emorphien New Member

The S3? S3 IS?

hardly. The S3 is a consumer camera with a long, average quality zoom and a tiny P&S sensor with a fraction of the surface area of what the sensor in the DP1 or a DSLR has.

7. Traitor

Traitor New Member

Looks like a fake plastic toy

8. emorphien

emorphien New Member

I hope not. There's a lot of people, including myself, that are anticipating this.

I'm just more concerned with the fact that it could suck horribly