A&P Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, or Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ....

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 1200mk, May 4, 2007.

1. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

For club photography?

This will be on my d80 and either a sb600/800.

Which lens would be the best pairing for a club environment. (close to pitch black AF, etc).

Thanks

2. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

speaking as an owner of the tokina 12-24..i would rather use the tamron and sigma combo. the tokina might be nice for special purposes, but definatly wouldn't want it as my only lens to use.

i however have the nikon 17-35 2.8 and i would much rather use that, even though it doesnt go to 50mm like the tamron

3. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

do you have any pics for reference? preferably pics taking in the dark?

4. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I wouldn't bother with the 12-24 unless you're using a flash. Not really sure what kind of club it is..... Even with a flash it will probably have a hard time focusing. IMO wide shots always look good at a club. You're not just taking pictures of people... their surroundings are quite "important" in club style pictures, and a getting close with a wide angle will let you do that.

I'd keep the 17-50 on the camera most of the time, and carry the 1.4 if a situation presents itself where that focal length is usefull.

5. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

I only want to purchase one at the moment....

So 17-50?

6. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

2.8 is often too slow in a club, I've found. If you're shooting in larger venues with better lighting, it'll probably be fine, and then the 17-50 would give you a nice range for both wide and tight shots. I personally use a 50mm 1.8 because I usually shoot in some pretty dingy places with very shitty lighting, and because it's cheap. People will say it's too tight but I've honestly only found that when I'm trying to take a picture of the whole band, in which case you just gotta move back, which you'd have to do with a 17mm anyways. My 18-70 @ 3.5 is almost always too slow, and 2.8 isn't really that much faster. The sigma 30mm 1.4 would be good if you're looking at some really low light, and a secondary body with a 85 or something for some really tight shots. That's all really expensive, especially beside a 100 dollar 50mm that fits pretty nicely inbetween.

I have some samples in various conditions, if you want me to post them to get an idea of sharpness/DOF etc.

7. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

so even with using a flash aperture plays a big role?

8. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Ohhh.... so are you only doing club photography? Do you have other lenses in the same range already? I own a Tam 17-50 for canon (as well as the 28-75) and the 17-50 is simply great for both landscape, and getting up close at all aperatures.

I also hear great things about the sigma in all aspects EXCEPT for focusing accuracy on Canon bodies. I think the problem is not as bad for Nikon. The sigma is said to be a fine prime for the money... so long as you get a good focusing copy.

Your current lens line up will probably be the main decision factor for you.

9. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

If you're using flash 2.8 will be more than fast enough. I don't use flash at shows unless it's a heavier show where there's alot of motion. Even then, I'd almost rather shoot at iso3200 and convert to B&W and just go the gritty route. It's just it totally kills the ambient lighting and if not done off camera looks really flat. If you want to keep the ambient lighting then I'd stay away from it, and if you're really into capturing motion in a club, you either gotta get gritty or go flash and slower glass.

10. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Yeah, in focusing and viewfinder brightness (well and depth of field control of course) For portraiture work 2.8 is normally plenty wide enough, but if you're taking pictures in a club without a flash and trying to pick up some ambient light you will really want that 1.4

I could image you shooting at ISO 1600, 1.4 at 1/100th of a second and getting good pictures. Maybe ISO 800, or 400 at 1/50th or 1/25th if you want a little motion blur.

11. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

Here lots of samples, cuz I'm bored:

Lots of light:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Low Light

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gritty/Motion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously they're not the best, but you get an idea of how challenging it can be to get light. Also, I probably mixed those all up, my bad.

12. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

1200mk...are you talking about club photography as in dance club with nakkie girlz? or club photography as bands and stuff?

if you are shooting bands then i would get the fastest prime money can buy, and not use flash.

if you are doing club girl photogrphy, than the 17-50 and a flash would be perfect

13. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

tamron 17-50, set the iso at about 500 and the aperture at around 60 and try to look for opportunities to bounce the flash, if the ceiling is too high it wont work, if you have the flash diffuser you can just aim it up and that alone will provide a nice coverage of light.

The idea is to cover the subjects with the flash and having the camera so slow that the background will be illuminated too.

14. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

Oh, I thought you meant bands. If you mean in a club, of hotties, than yeah, use a flash. Maybe even one of those gary fong diffusers?

15. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

nekkid girlies variety.

16. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

for nekkid girls. Flash and 17-50. /thread

17. s40Strib

s40Strib New Member

aperture of 60????? :bowdown: :mamoru:

18. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

doh!

damnit you know what I mean.

19. Blair

Blair New Member

yeah i was trying to figure that out myself. it seems like most good club shots i have seen use a faster shutter because people are not exactly standing still for shots.

dont know though, not really my fortay.

20. s40Strib

s40Strib New Member

hahah yeah..still funny though.

21. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

this is what i'd say too, but you don't really need to bounce the flash, just diffuse it. you don't really need a lot of high tech equipment for most club events anymore as most of the photographers just use a rebel, kit lens and onboard flash. they use a slower shutter and a normal aperture to get the effect and they're set.

just get the Tamron 17-50 lens anyways because it is a great lens. i'd stay away from primes in the club.

22. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

it doesn;t matter flash will freeze teh action even with slower shutter speeds. also kinda get that cool club photo effect

23. Blair

Blair New Member

good point. would using a slow sync enhance that effect even at 1/60th?

24. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

pretty much the settings that I said was what I used in these pictures

http://picasaweb.google.com/senencito/20070220CumpleBrendaBlend

they are unedited, I wasnt shooting for no one just fucking around with some friends. I used a 35mm 2.0 prime..but I also wouldnt recommend that, it limits you way too much.

note: I didnt have a flash diffuser, I was using the sb-600 that night

25. Blair

Blair New Member

so i picked up a 17-50 today to see what the fuss is about. i am going to use it tomorrow for some candids i will be shooting.