A&P Sigma 12-24 or Canon 10-22?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MelloBoy, Feb 17, 2005.

1. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

Hello,
    Trying to decide on a wideangle lens as the kit lens only goes down to 18mm and doing photoshoots at yosemite and what not, it's pretty limiting so i'm looking to get a super wide angle lens...

pricewise and basically the only 2 rectilinear superwide angle zooms are the Sigma 12-24 and the Canon 10-22. Anyone have any experiences with both lenses? is the additional $150 for the Canon worth it? or is the Sigma fine? The one qualm i have about sigma is the gel filters...can't use threaded filters...and also dust problems due to the gel filters :/

thanks...

melloboy

2. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

Get the Canon or wait for the new sigma that can take filters. I believe it's a 10-20mm lens.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

4. dmora

dmora Guest

I just bought the Sigma 12-24 and I love it! :cool:
    Its pretty wide as is. I'll see about getting some shots up soon.

5. dmora

dmora Guest

What the fuck... :confused: Is it a rounded mirror that shows the scene and the camera shoots the mirror?

6. mojito

mojito New Member

i think so, its an intresting idea. Wish there was a way to test one out, it could possible put an intresting way of not having to stitch photos. But you're probably have to have a pocket wizard or something so you aren't in the pic. Its available for a lot of consumer cams as well as slr's, so I'm not sure thow that works.

7. sony

sony Active Member

Sigma has announced a 10-20mm DC (digital) lens at PMA, which might be an interesting option for you because if you're looking at the 10-22 you're probably willing to sacrifice and work with a digital lens.

I suspect the 10-20 will be priced lower than the 12-24 (wouldn't make sense otherwise :ugh: ) which means it'll be less than 680 dollars, probably in the 500 range, which is cheaper than both the 10-22 and 12-24's market value. :o

8. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I'm confused about these smaller lenses. Does that mean there's no crop factor? And for less abberations and vignetting wouldn't you want a larger lens?

9. mojito

mojito New Member

the smaller ones are designed for digital cameras specfically with a 1.5 or 1.6 crop factor. so a 10-22 becomes a 16-whatever on a rebel, more along the lines what you would get on a full frame with a good wide angle lens

10. sony

sony Active Member

Regular lenses are made for the 35mm frame, but since the sensor is smaller you get a crop factor since only the center of the 35mm frame is being used (so it's like magnification, but really like cropping the sides off)

Why waste all this glass when you can design the same lens for the sensor's frame which is smaller. The lens therefore ends up being lighter, cheaper to produce, cheaper for the end user, and hopefully just as sharp. :o

11. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

also, the rear element of the EF-S lenses go much further into the body...so if you were to try to put it on a full frame SLR, the mirror would hit it.

phidong
    wouldn't the 10-20 be priced higher than the 12-24? from what i've seen, the wider the lens the more expensive it seems to be...unless i'm looking at the wrong lenses. also, i wouldn't be surprised if sigma tried to capitalize on having one of the only rectilinear lenses for a 1.6x crop or what not. that's only what; the EF-S 10-22mm and the Sigma 10-20, which doesn't give users many options...the EF-S is right aroudn $800 so i'm guessing the sigma would also be raround $600-$650...a hair more than the 12-24...is sigma retiring the 12-24 by chance?