A&P Sigma 105 macro arrives in 2 days!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TtamNedlog, Apr 8, 2008.

1. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

I'm obviously excited, as this will be my second lens and finally something other than a standard 50mm. I do have the 18-200 VR, but since I've been shooting mostly film lately, I haven't used it. So this macro lens will be my second lens that works on both my D80 and F100.

The thing is, I'm going to use it for a final project in my photography class to take some "portraits" of insects. That means I'll be using it on film. I've seen loads of amazing shots taken with the lens (and the third party 100mm macros), but they were all taken on DSLRs and so the 1.6x crop factor was in play. I'm curious to see how large/detailed my shots will turn out when taken on film.

Also, question: I see a lot of macro shooters constantly stressing the need for tripods. Does that apply to bug shooting with a flash? I could see how a monopod might help, but a tripod sounds like a lot of trouble if you're chasing bugs. And wouldn't the flash negate the need for it?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  2. mojito

mojito New Member

its more than an exposure problem, if you lean in slightly by 2mm it'll trow the focus off

3. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

Here are some bugs shots I got with it while practicing on the D80! Hopefully my film attemps will turn out comparable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. themolsen

themolsen New Member

i hope your film shots come out better than those

5. Bloke

Bloke Banned

not digging the out of focus area look of that lens-body combo