GUN Sights: fixed vs. adjustable

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dr. Fuckface, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

I've never changed the sights out on a gun before; whether it came from the factory with fixed or adjustable, I've always just left it at that.

For the first time, for my G17, I'd like something different than the factory sights. My question is: what advantages, other than cost and resistance to change, do fixed sights have over adjustable?

Must I have fixed sights (specifically for the G17) installed and sighted in by smith, or is it a DIY job?

How the heck would you sight in fixed sights? :confused:

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Fixed sights can be drifted, sometimes the fronts and rears, to align them properly.

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

pretty easily. You just drift it to left or right. Fixed sights just means you don't have a mechanical way of drifting the sight without a wooden dowel. Which is the way I highly recommend. But even fixed sights can be adjusted.

Sights, especially glock sights must be drifted in and out a certain way. You always want to drift them out from left to right. And when you install them, drift them the opposite way, from right to left.

Strip your G17 and remove the barrel and recoil rod/spring.

Place it on the edge of a solid work bench with the left side facing the sky. And take a wooden dowel, and place it on the base of your sights, and use a hammer and tap it out. of course, make sure that the side of the sights hang over the bench so there is a way for the sights to come out, otherwise you are just tapping it into the work bench.

To install, just flip the slide over, so the right side is facing the sky, and tap it back in. very simple and I have done a ton of sights like this.

the key is to use a sturdy work bench. If it flexes, it makes it harder, the more solid, the better. Make sure there isn't anything on the surface that would scratch or mar the slide.

Good call changing the stock sights on your glock, they are plastic and have a tendacy to slide loose.

For glocks, a vast majority of shooters have problems shooting left with them. It's more of a training issue that I suggest you work out. But I see a lot of noob glock shooters with their sights drifted to the right to counter this.

If this happens, work on your fundamentals, it's caused by poor trigger control and hand placement.

4. el capitan

el capitan New Member

one company offers glock sights compensated for the offset you were talking about. i can't remember which one though. never really understood why they did that.

5. Dr. Fuckface

are there any other SSP legal mods you'd recommend? I'm ordering the G34 mag release and slide stop, and a 3.5# connector. Everything else is a little beyond the technical knowledge I currently possess (working on that).

I'll be getting a LWD barrel in the near future, but I have a question about reloading brass fired from a glock barrel: does the extra play in a factory barrel really cause such distortion that the brass can only be reloaded a couple times without becoming fatigued?

6. smartypants

smartypants New Member

IMO replacing the sights on a Glock is best done with the proprietary tool that uses a screw to align the rear sight in the channel. This tool is a little more exact that the dowel method and runs less risk of damaging your sight/weapon.
    The front sight is removed by using a tiny socket to loosen the nut inside the slide and using pliers to pull the sight out.
    Both tools can be picked up for less than $50 which is what an armorer would charge to swap sights.
    Check out Tru-glo fiber optic/tritium sights. I love 'em.

7. Dr. Fuckface

oh yeah: what's a good source for drop-free mags?

8. Dr. Fuckface

ballin, son :cool:

9. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I have them on my glock. Excellent carry sights imo.

10. Dr. Fuckface

everyone's out of stock :wtc:

11. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

There is some debate as to whether FOS are durable enough for a carry/duty gun. People that have the truglo seem to be happy, but I don't know how many of them are obsessive about their gun. FO is great for range and comp including IDPA, but for now I am sticking with regular tritium.

12. Platinum_Thunder

Check out some Heinie Straight 8

13. minus

I wipe the gun down once a month or so otherwise its untouched in the holster. No issues.

14. minus

15. AB13

AB13 New Member

show me a place that sells the sight drift tool for $50, because I've never heard of them. I bought my MGW sight drifter for $120, and I still use my wooden dowel. Then again, I don't need to drift them.

if you want a nice set of fiber optics, go with Dawson Precision. I have Tru's as well, but I prefer the smaller dot of the Dawson. They come in .090, .100 and .125. I like the .100.

DR. FF,
    As for SSP mods, that is absolutely it. Sights, and maybe some grip tape. The best mod you can get for your gun, is to put as many rounds down the range as possible. Shoot the shit out of it, and it will be money much better spent than any more trinkets you can get for it for IDPA. USPSA, is a different matter. Spend your money on a good Belt, Holster and dual mag pouches. I suggest Bladetech or Comp tac.

There's no reason to get another barrel, the stock glock barrel is just fine as long as you stay away from pure lead bullets. Buy a Lee Factory Crimp die and be immaculate with looking at our brass and you'll be okay. Bad brass is very easy to detect.

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

Keep solvents away from your Fiber optics, and check them routinely. The front sight should be one of those things you constantly check on.

As stated above, FO's are best for range/game guns. Trit's or Mep's are best for CCW because they wont' have that issue.

17. AB13

AB13 New Member

18. minus

The main concern with the fibers on the carry gun IMO is having the tritium with it.

19. AB13

AB13 New Member

go to www.glocktalk.com and check the classifieds. You can get glock mags from anywhere from 15-20 bux a piece. I don't care for LEO mags, but of course, there are a ton of folks that don't have problems with them, they're not worth saving a buck or two for me. I've also sworn off used mags. they're like buying used underware for me, I don't do it.

I get them at my local gun show and buy them in bulk. when they fuck up on me I just toss them out. They're cheap enough that they should just be replaced after 5-10k rounds. The latest generation mags are Series 8's. You can tell by checking the follower, on the tip will tell you what series mag it is. The 8's eject much faster.

And YES, glock mags are some of the main causes for FTE's and FTF's, trust me on this one. Nothing more frustrating than shooting a major match, and tossing out a stage becaues of a cheap mag. I think this is one of the weakest link of a Glock.

20. Platinum_Thunder

Umm?? ok?

21. Platinum_Thunder

Um wtf

22. minus

My glock is hardly babied the sights are not as fragile as some people make them out to be.

23. minus

I meant if I was putting fiber optic sites on a carry gun i'd only put tfo sites not standard.

24. Dr. Fuckface

25. minus

Agreed. I am sure there are better options for a comp gun.