GUN SIG Trailside vs. Mosquito

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BlazinBlazer Guy, Feb 20, 2009.

1. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

So I'm looking for a .22LR semi-auto to shoot at the range, and after shooting a few different Rugers (a couple MK-IIs and a MK-III 22/45) I'm not impressed with the way they shoot for me. The triggers just don't feel good to me and the consistency just isn't there. I did try a browning and liked how it shot, but I got several FTEs with it which is :down:

Based on reading about people's experience with the SIG Trailside, I think that's what I want to find and purchase (haven't found anyone with either SIG pistol that I can try). Unfortunately they appear to be hard to find since they're not made any longer.

So now, I'm looking at the SIG Mosquito. Anyone have one or know much about them? How do they compare to the Trailside in terms of reliability/accuracy/quality?

I'm hoping someone will be able to give me some decent advice as far as where to look or which to go for. I'd like something new, but if I can find a good like-new used Trailside that I like, I would probably just go for it.

Thanks! :wavey:

2. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I shot one and wasn't too thrilled with it. Try out a Walther P22. I normally would recommend the Rugers, but if they don't shoot well for you that's out.

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Mosquitos suck. Absolute dog-shit trigger, and they aren't known as a pinnacle of reliability either. We demo'd a Trailside when I worked at a gunstore, and I thought it was pretty cool. Sig rep was insistant that absoultely NO high velocity stuff be ran through it. Supposedly it's only made for low power target stuff, and will come apart if you feed it HV rounds.

Strange that you didn't like the Rugers or Buckmarks. I'd try another Browning (the one I had shot lights out), or maybe look for a conversion kit for a fullsize gun. CZ also makes a 22 called the Kadet, I've got one and love it (though I shoot mostly CZ's).

My Kadet is on the right:

[​IMG]

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

That Kadet does look sharp; I'll have to see if any of the shops around here have one I can try out.

As far as the buckmarks, I do think I would give one another try... could have been just that particular piece that had issues causing the FTEs. Or, who knows, it could have even been the ammo (CCI Mini-Mag).

No worries about no HV rounds in the .22LR; I only plan to use this for range practice so target grade is fine with me. Once I'm confident enough in my skills to want something for HD or other use, I'll pick up a 9mm pistol or .38-spl. revolver.

5. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

I was looking at a .22 for the wife. i was set on a p22 untill we found the mosquito. Its a little bigger so it felt better in both our hands

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I really like the buckmark. I think on my next 22lr pistol I'm going to do an advantage arms, but I'm a glock guy.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Add a p22 to that list and you'll have a whole set of guns that will break.

If you don't like the ruger or the browning, look for a used colt woodsman. On the cheaper side of things I've found my s&w 22a to be good with a lifetime waranty.

8. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Love my Advantage Arms kit.

9. Willie J

Willie J New Member

trailside. my buddy has one and its fun

10. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I like my mosquito. Aside from the heavy trigger I havent had a single problem. To be fair though I've only fired a little over a thousand rounds through it and that was all cci.

It feels better in my hand than the p22 I owned ever could. It's as accurate as I am.

My next .22 pistol will probably me a ruger mk of some kind mainly because I can mod the hell out of it like a 10/22. I'd also really like to pick up a kadet.

11. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

The mosquito feels like sex to me. Trigger is very good in mine, but they are chambered very tight so mine FTE's all the time, particularly because it's an early one. I've heard if you have it reamed and dialed in it can be made reliable, but it's really just a range gun.

If you want reliable, you just going to have to deal with a integrally suppressed mark II. :naughty:

12. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I'm sure the Buckmarks are good guns. I have an old Browning Challenger II that is 25-30 years old. I got it from my GF's dad. Not only did he do virtually nothing to maintain it, but it also went through a truck fire... I did a normal cleaning/lubing on it, and the thing shoots like a champ.

13. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

Fuck you. :wtc:

Canada won't let us have any fun...

14. GTP

GTP New Member

My mosquito FTEs with just about 90% of ammo out there. It seems to absolutely love some garbage remington .22lr that comes in tiny milk cartons though. Shoots pretty good with some winchester branded stuff too.

15. BLH

BLH Member

SIG Trailside all the way, not really even comparable to the Mosquito in my opinion.

16. Keesh

Keesh New Member

If you don't like the trigger on the Rugers you're not going to be very happy elsewhere. A VQ hammer and sear makes a world of difference in the Rugers...I didn't think they were that bad stock.

17. attomica

attomica Active Member

Don't forget S&W's Model 41. In my opinion, it's the finest factory .22 made.

[​IMG]

18. BLH

BLH Member

I beg to differ on that one, finest American made maybe, but that is about it.

19. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I looooooove the model 41. One of the guns I really regret getting rid of.

20. BlazinBlazer Guy

That Advantage Arms does look like a nice piece; as does the Kadet. It's sounding more like I should be looking for a Trailside, Kadet, or AA. If I get a chance to try the S&W 41 I certainly will, too.

:cool:

21. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

I've had my trailside for about 3 years now. It's been a great little plinker. You don't wanna run stingers in it but other than that it's good to go. Shoots very well, good trigger, accurate enough. Ruger MKII with a VQ trigger would be a better choice but there was already one in the family so I grabbed the trailside. Mosquito = dogshit.