GUN sig p239

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nkudahc, May 21, 2008.

1. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

i've held one and it seemed like it fit my hand great but i can't seem to find any as rentals around here. can any of you guys talk me into or out of buying one?

2. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I have one in 9mm. It's a fine gun for what it is.

With that said, just get a Glock 19.

3. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

i've rented a glock 19 quite a few times and based on what you all say i want to like it a lot but it just doesn't feel very comfortable to me. i shot a p226 at the range the other day and it seemed really nice but just to big to get a good grip on, maybe thats because i mostly shoot my p22. I also rent the m&p9 quite a bit and it feels pretty good with the smallest grip insert on it, but still not as comfortable as the p239. would you recommend the m&p over the sig?

4. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

Are you in a bigger city/metroplex?

5. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

cincinnati, oh

6. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

Keep looking, someone has one for rent.

7. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

well i decided on the m&p 9 instead and picked it up last night. i have had the chance to rent one quite a bit and always liked it more than the others i rented. picking it over the sig saves me a couple hundred dollars so thats always good. also i figured the way you guys talk about laws changing and stuff i better go ahead and get the one with 17 round mag capacity in case it gets dropped to 10 rounds or something like that in the next couple years...i don't buy guns very often. so now where do i go for cheap 9mm ammo?

on and there was this dude who was hanging around the gun shop last night who was all like "don't get 9mm, get the .40...9mm won't stop anyone blah blah blah" the dude wasn't even looking at anything just bothering everyone who was. even kept calling a magazine a clip, what a douche bag right?

8. Initial E

Initial E New Member

those people are called, fucking idiots. Stay away from them.

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

What shop did you go to? (NKY here.. also a NKU student)

No flies on the M&P. As for ammo, probably you're best bet is to mail oder it. I've seen some re-cockulous pricing on ammo lately... That, or go to walmart for a few boxes of WWB. They are cheaper than anywhere around here.

10. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

shooters supply. i went to nku a few years ago, i should probably look into changing my nickname, its a little misleading now. i assumed that walmart would be the place to go but i was thinking maybe someone had a website with a good price or could maybe recommend a particular kind of ammo. also what is the difference between 9mm and +p and +p+? what kind do i want for an m&p 9. i think the kind they gave me at the range was just regular 9mm.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  11. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

+p is loaded 'hotter' than standard 9mm, and +p+ is loaded hotter still. basically with +p and +p+ you get more velocity and therefore (technically speaking) a more effective round. as with anything, shot placement is key.

I'm sure the M&p will handle them all just fine

12. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

13. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

cool thanks for the info. for my p22 i just bought whatever kind of ammo for it that it shot well. it sounds like for the range i don't want any +p then right? does the number of grains matter, it looks like there are quite a few different weights.

14. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

thanks for the link i'll give it a look. i did buy a couple different boxes at walmart tonight. remington umc 115gr. jhp and blazer brass 115gr. fmj, should i be staying away from either of them?

15. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

for general range practice, probably not.

however you should run a fair amount of what you plan to defend yourself with through your gun. just to make sure it feeds, and so you get used to shooting it. pretty much everyone on this board will say the same.

and yes, the grain weight will affect velocity. this is why +p can be an advantage, (I don't have any of the actual figures in front of me) say one has a 115 grain bullet and 124 grain bullet. the 124 will normally travel slower than the lighter 115, but if you get a +p 124 grain load, it will approach the velocity of the 115 grain bullet and still have the slightly heavier weight. (heavier weight = more/better penetration, generally speaking)

but bottom line, (have this been mentioned yet...) shot placement is key with any weapon.

16. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

so how do you pick an ammo to defend yourself with?

17. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

get what some hack on the internet like me tells you. hehe.

18. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

nice lil handgun.my gf has one

19. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

actually there is a great resource that I can't find the address for, gives several effective brands/loadings for 9mm .40 and .45

ammo for the self defense firearm, or something

20. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

what are you trying to say boi :squint:

21. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

22. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

23. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I run Barnes Bullets (a la Corbon DPX) in my stuff because I think that copper solids are the way of the future (I run them expressly in my killing rifles).

You will hear a million different opinions on this (self defense loads), because everyone has their own "pet" bullets. Buy premium, modern day self defense ammo (and don't get suckered into gimmick shit) and rock on. For blaster stuff I run whatever will work in my pistols that is cheap. I don't shoot bullseye so extreme accuracy isn't a concern. If it shoots, I shoot it; being cheap allows me to shoot more.

24. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

I like the rem umc. If you are going to buy a bunch of something for plinking try and get something the same as your defense ammo. If you plan to carry the Federal Tactical 124 gr for defense, buy a case of something that is 124 gr. I don't know if it would make a huge difference but the feeling should be pretty close. I shoot the S&B 124 gr stuff I linked earlier and carry the Federal Tactical 124 gr or Gold Dot 124 gr (standard pressure on all of them). I have shot a few hundred rounds of each back to back and notice almost no difference between the them, maybe a little more pop from the Federal, but not as much as shooting a +p or +p+ load. Either way buy what you can and shoot, shoot, shoot.

25. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I like to pretend to get really excited about what they're saying.

They usually nibble at the bait and then after a minute realize I'm making fun of them. Shuts them up for the whole store.