GUN Sig P226/229 Vs. HK USP/USP Compact - 9x19 Vs. .40 S&W

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ballistic, Apr 29, 2003.

1. ballistic

ballistic I dunno, play chess...screw?

I've grown up shooting, both long guns and handguns, and being that I recently turned 21, I would like to exercise my right to own a handgun personally.

I've shot several hanguns, including 1911 variants, which don't particularly appeal to me for some reason, and Glocks, which I just don't like. I'm fully aware that they're extremely reliable, but I HATE DAO handguns. SA/DA is the way I'm going to go.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the H&K USP and the Sig P226, or I might go with something smaller, such as the P229 or USP Compact.

I've shot both of these weapons, and they feel good to me.

My question is to anyone that's also shot them or is very familiar with either. Which one would you recommend and why? Concealability is not a real issue, as I am attending a University, and we all know about the no-carry policies of most Universities. This gun with pretty much just be for my own enjoyment and for home protection.

Also, of 9mm and .40 S&W, which would you recommend? I'm leaning towards 9x19 simply for the fact that ammunition is cheaper, making practice more cost-effective, and +P loads offer a comparable punch for protection. Any advice?

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

With the caveat that they are both excellent guns and i would trust either:

Personally, i like the SIG better than the USP, and would take the P226. Since you said concealability isn't much a concern, the fullsize frame will allow easier handling. They're making the P220/226 series with 1913-spec accessory rails now as well, check that option out if you want easy attachment of lasers, lights, etc.

i prefer the design of the SIG and though the differences are very small, to me, the SIG feels MUCH less bulky. The USP feels somewhat clumsy and top-heavy in my hand.

i'd say the 9mm is fine as well, for the reasons you said.

Also, as an added bonus, 15rd factory 9mm magazines for the P226 are still fairly cheap at $40-60 in excellent to new condition, which is only a small premium over what they went for before the ban, so you can grab a few extra mags for a reasonable amount.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

yeah, i'd rather have a sig also. i don't like the feel of HK's. i USED to not like sig triggers, until i felt what i believe was the 228. i think it was a compact 9mm? SA/DA, and damn comfortable.

but, i've heard that sigs rust much faster than other pistols. don't know if it's true, i've just heard it.

4. ballistic

Thanks for the opinions, guys.

Rust isn't an issue since I tend to be anal about keeping my firearms clean and oiled. :big grin:

5. Sideways

Sideways Do I look like I give a damn?

I own both the P226 and the P229. Both have and continue to serve me well.

Rust really isn't an issue with recent Sigs, any pistol will rust without proper maintenance. Other then basic cleaning, my Sigs don't rust and don't need any additional care.

Owning a USP40, I didn't care for it and quickly traded it for a Kimber Ultra Ten II. The USP worked like it should, but I wasn't all that impressed compared to the competition. Didn't like the feel of it and hated the looks.

6. ballistic

Of the 226 and 229, which do you prefer, as far as handling? Do you like the larger 226, or should I look at the 229 in case I wanted something a bit more concealable?

7. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i haven't heard of rusting persay, but i have heard that the finish SIG uses somewhat lacks durability in the long run.

Not to say you or i should disqualify the gun. The SEALS didn't. ;) By the time you wear the finish down, you'll have gotten so much use from the gun that you'll gladly drop $120 or so to have a good teflon based finish applied. Or do like i'm planning on doing, and get it refinished long before it wears out. :big grin:

By the way, i have almost 10,000 rounds through my P226 and i would say the amount of wear is what i would expect from that much use.

If you ever want to carry it concealed, definitely look at the P228 or 229 instead of the 226. i have big hands, and i've found the P229 to be quite comfortable.

8. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Walther P99

9. Pure Energy

Pure Energy Guest

I'm with clean. I love my USP .45. I can't get used to Sig sights although I admit I only shot one once. The USP trigger is't very good, I had to really learn mine, but now it drives tacks. I think it's gonna realy come down to a personal choice. Either one is a great choice.

10. KW

KW Guest

Having tried both the USP and the SIGs I went with a P228. If you like both pistols equally, you may want to consider the P228 over the 226/229 or USP for cost reasons. They can be a little hard to find, but will generally be about $100 cheaper then the 229.

11. Sideways

Sideways Do I look like I give a damn?

I prefer the 226 for shooting... the weight adds a little more to the handling and it shoots a little bit better then the 229.

For both guns the grip feels pretty much the same. The biggest thing you might notice is the difference in weight distribution in the 226, because of the longer length.

The 229 overall is half an inch smaller then the 226. It all depends on how you will be carrying your weapon to determine if that half inch would make a difference in concealability.

I personally carry the 226 for reasons mentioned above, I am not totally sure why I still even own the 229.

BUT the only real way for you to decide on which one, is to first... decide on how you are going to carry it and then try and demo both the 226 and the 229 and see how they feel.

12. sushibug

sushibug :happysad:

i dont know much about guns but i shot a 229 and a usp mniutes apart. i gotta say the sig felt more refined while the usp just felt like a lump of coal.

13. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Holla!~