GUN Sig owner wants some tupperware

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vwpilot, Jul 5, 2008.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Ok, as a long time Sig owner, I'm looking to pick up some tactical tupperware and am looking at the G17 and the XD Tactical 5" also in 9mm. I want to use it for basic shooting, some IDPA and IPSC stuff and some steel matches. Who knows, if I really like it, it may replace the 226 beside my bed.

I know the Glock vs. XD thing is a lot like Ford or Chevy, but I want to hear opinions on both. Why do you like one or the other? What have you done to your firearms in terms of accuracy or trigger jobs or whatever else? Etc, etc.

I tried both at the shop today. The XD felt like a little longer pull on the trigger, but about the same on the break. Glock felt a little smoother overall, but both were a lot better than the DA pull on the Sig though the SA pull on the Sig was shorter and lighter than either.

So thoughts on both, I want to hear it all.

And for those M&P guys, I'm not interested so dont try to convince me, its either XD or Glock.

2. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I've owned both, get the Glock, it's a better gun.

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I have owned a XD40 and now have a GLock 19 and I dont think you could go wrong either way

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The weak point in the XD is the extractor. It is garbage. Springfield will not sell replacment parts, you need to send the gun in for every little thing that breaks. This is unacceptable for a competition gun. For competition you need a spare parts box to replace anything that may break during a match, or to do preventive maintence prior to a big match.

The glock is just built for competition. It is the dominant gun is uspsa production, and IDPA ssp. It is the 2nd most dominant pistol in all other classes behind the 1911 and 1911 wide bodies.

The trigger can be reduced down to 1.5 lbs, the reset shorted by another half, and made more positive. I could go on and on about glocks. It's a no brainer.

Glocks win, XD's are weak sauce.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Get whatever fits your hand the best. Both guns are good combat firearms so if it's purely between an XD or a Glock, then go rent both, shoot both and get the one you are most comfortable and accurate with. Either one will do you just great.

Or if you like Sigs, they too have their own tupperware. :big grin:

6. bursty

bursty New Member

Glock

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

As someone that's neither in the industry, nor places a lot of claim of heresay and owns both, and an active member of both USPSA and IDPA spending time behind both triggers....

neither...

Take your 226 to grayguns and don't look back. Some of the biggest misconception when getting into competitive shooting is having sufficient "experience" and "hardware" run what you have and then you'll have a better understanding of what "you" need. Not by asking online.

If you want a gun for the sake of buying a gun, and am on a budget, they're both good budget combat guns. I own several models of both and having spent plenty of time behind both in competition neither is any better, marginal at best. depending on the angle. they have both failed me at some time, they both do well having one my division with both.

If you want the "ideal" game/range gun, 1911 or 2011 > all. Hands down, not even arguable. Neither the XD or Glock has anything on metal guns when it comes down to pure competition.

So my suggestion, either keep what you have, send it to Bruce, or go big or go home.

8. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

You can't go wrong with either. Both are fantastic, accurate, and extremely reliable guns. I personally went with an XD because the grip angle felt better, and that alone was enough to justify choosing it over the glock. A gun can have every feature you could want, but if you don't like the feel, then why get it? Handle both, shoot both, and make your decision. You really can't go wrong choosing one over the other.

9. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

AB13 I respect your opinion, especially since you have run both, I was hoping you'd reply.

However, I'd really like to hear your comparison and thoughts on both guns since you have used them.

I understand your point and its well taken. However, I like shooting guns and like shooting different kinds of them. I like my Sigs and they wont go anywhere, I have a Wilson 1911 and I also have a 9mm 1911 on order to play with as well. I simply would like a striker fired pistol as well to have something different than the first two.

I travel a lot during the summer and will therefore only be able to hit matches here and there, so I have no intentions of challenging for championships or anything. I simply want to do them for a good time and something to do other than shooting paper. I'd like to have the option of several guns so that I can choose to shoot whichever I might feel like shooting on the particular day. I may even shoot multiple ones in the same match in the different classes.

For me, its simply about enjoying shooting different guns. I have three ARs and enjoy shooting each the same for different reasons. My Sig is already planning on going to a local smith that has done work on my other guns and does a great job, so the DA pull is going to be lightened and smoothed out on that already.

I just want another gun.

So, if you have any input on both of these models I'd really like to hear it.

Here are some thoughts.

I shot a G17 this afternoon, unfortunately the only place around here that rents guns does not rent anything in an XD except the subcompacts so its not a fair comparison.

The G17 shot well. I definitely noticed the grip angle and shot slightly high if I wasnt really concentrating. Not sure if I liked the feel.

I think the XD actually aimed more naturally for me.

However, I do like the aftermarket and what is out there for the Glock and that still makes me lean that way. The lack of it for the XD makes me hesitate.

I also have a suppressor on the way for the Sig, I'd obviously like to be able to use it with this gun. I know its not a problem with the Glock, but what about the XD tactical? Does anyone make a threaded barrel for that gun?

So not sure. I like the idea and what is available for the Glock, but think that the XD holds a bit better. I'm sure I can easily get used to the Glock, so its not that bad for me, but I still hesitate a bit on the XD for the lack of aftermarket reasons.

So, any more thoughts on the issue will help.

Thanks.

10. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I have a G17 and I like it. A buddy has a XD-9 that he also likes (or used to like - think he's been spoiled by the Sigs he's been buying lately).

My G17 has roughly 10k rounds through it and no problems after I corrected user error on the fist box of ammo.

Friend's XD-9 has well in excess of 10k rounds through it and has functioned flawlessly save for user error (namely, mine).

Most of my complaints about the XD-9 vs G17 are probably rooted in lack of muscle-memory familiarity with it compared to the G17. Grip safety locking the slide is the biggest, but that's not what I'd call a huge complaint.

I can shoot the XD nearly as well as my G17.

11. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I have an XD45 and I will be picking up a G26 in the up and coming months. Both are decent firearms - I don't buy into the "which is better" battle.

There are better firearms than either of those, I think they are both decent and fall into the same "reliability" range.

12. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Maybe I will start to consider the M&P after doing some reading. It wasnt really one I wanted to consider, but it seems like it might be a good option as well.

So if anyone has thoughts on those as well I'll listen.

Thanks.

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

Cool, no problem, fair enough.

In terms of after market products, unless your counting all of the "little" mods like grip plugs, etc. Off the top of my head as I type this, I can't think of anything you can do to a Glock that can't be done to a XD. After market readily supplies everything that's worth doing to an XD. Sights, magwell, triggers, guide rods, springs, extended controls, magazine caps, holsters, etc.

The argument about replacement parts and "having" to go back is now also old, as replacement parts are now readily available as well. And if you can work on a Glock, you can work on an XD. They're both very easy guns to work on.

For XD, check out "Springer Precision", "Canyon Creek" and "Pistol Gear". I believe KKM sells threaded barrels for XD's, I know Scott runs one in his XD open.

If you are going to shoot multiple guns, as I do, it is much easier for "me" to transition back to my XD than it is my Glock. Like I've said before, the guys I see really winning with Glocks ONLY shoot Glocks, and are hardcore with it. And what I mean are guys winning events that shoot glocks. I shot a Glock exclusively for the most part of last year, and did very well. But when I shot other things and try to shoot my Glock again, I suffered greatly. going from Winning my division (not just my class) to being back to mid pack shooter. Which is considerable. But that's what the deal breaker is to me, but that's a fault I place with "me", not the gun. They're both good guns, I'm just not as skilled of a shooter to be able to hop around and shoot both with the same level of success. So I play to my strengths as I understand my limitations.

They are both very good guns, and both very similar. To me to break them down is splitting hairs. The trade off with both almost make them a wash to me. Neither of them comes close to a nice 1911 trigger, so that's a wash for me as well. I've had problems getting certain magazines to work in my glock consistently, and the XD mags are also not the greatest. I do appreciate that they are fully metal magazines and are better tapered for reloads than a Glock mag. But I'm not too shabby with Glock reloads either.

Bore axis don't mean squat to me, most people that have a hard time getting over that have probably can't tell you what their split time is, or what they're particular split time is with both.

I'd say take a look at the Glock 34, as I think it's a better comparison to the XD 9 tac.

With that said, I'll be picking up the new M&P Pro 9mm (5" M&P) when my local gunshop gets them in finally.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

replace....226...? i do not understand what you're saying

15. AB13

AB13 New Member

I was trying to be a little vague, and fair with "my" assessment of both, as to avoid being a fanboy, cause I really do believe they are equally good guns.

Here's something more tangible in terms of advise for both guns.

If I were to recommend a Glock, I'd recommend a Glock 35 because is a very versatile gun for competition. You can shoot it in:

IDPA:
    ESP, SSP

USPSA: Production, Limited and Limited 10

it also has a good capacity at 15 rounds, and is built purely for competition. It also has a longer sight radius, and handles the .40 caliber very well, and comes with extended controls from the factory that will allow you to be legal in IDPA and USPSA production. I would send it to Charlie Vanek, and get a Vanek Master trigger job, Dawson front F/O sights, Heinie rears, grip tape and a bunch of bullets.

If I were to recommend an XD I would recommend either a .45 Tactical, or 9mm tactical. Again, I prefer longer sight radius of the Tactical slide. I'd send it to Rich at Canyon Creek, or Scott at Springer precision for a competition trigger job, get a Pistol Gear magwell, Dawson F/O front sight and heinie rears, grip tape and a bunch of bullets.

For gear, I'd get Bladetech pouches, and Uncle Mikes holster or bladeTech Holster.

Get plenty of NEW magazines for what ever you get. don't skimp on mags.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  16. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I honestly do not see it replacing the 226 unless there is something VERY significant in an improvement of shooting with it versus the Sig. Just looking for something different.

Thanks AB for that info. I appreciate the honest and unbiased opinion.

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Is there a source for XD extractors? I'd ttpe more but I'm watching UFC

18. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Not to quibble, but all the factory Glock magazines that I've seen are plastic overmolded on metal. I can only see this being disadvantageous when it comes to fast reloads due to more friction plastic-on-plastic as opposed to metal on plastic.

Taper definitely looks better on XD magazines.

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Glock mags work. They also drop free so friction is a non issue. I hit mine up with plexus. Does not attract dirt and it's more slippery than want2race's mama's cunt.

Take a look at my vids. My reloads are ill.

20. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Well, just ordered a G17. I ended up getting the OD green one cause I could get it for about $40 less than the black and the color doesnt make a difference to me one way or the other. $478 shipped to my FFL who will charge me $40. Locally, the best price I could find was $589 +$10 for the MD background check (included in the above transfer fee) and of course tax.

So sounded like a good deal and if I end up hating it, I should be able to get something close to it if I go to sell.

Now to start scouring the internet for some hop-up parts. First thing is likely some fiber sights and a trigger job.

Thanks for the input, I'll report back when I get to finally shoot it.

21. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

my sig next to it's striker fired friend...

[​IMG]

P99 is a horribly underrated gun. Worth considering.

22. AB13

AB13 New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vr3cmPaEI0

23. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Good job. If you sign up for a glockworx account I'll give you a 5% discount.