Sierra Denali

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mike00, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

What's everybody think about this for a truck? Pretty much decided since I want to move over to 4x4 and would like some cargo space for next car decided to go with a 4 door truck (like an suv but a whole lot more versitility) and let the wifey keep the rwd sports coupe.

Anyway because of the fact that I can't stand cloth settings I'm pretty much stuck near denali pricing anyway for a Tundra. It seems like the Denali is the better buy for me with a more luxurious interior and with GM discount pricing (wifey gets nice discount through work) can anybody think of any reason for me not to pick up one this coming winter/spring?

I have to admit I know nothing about trucks until I started researching last few weeks so would love to hear some comments/suggestions. Always been more into sports cars but the need to have to keep borrowing my fathers suv the last few weeks after we bought a condo has driven me nuts. So I need something with more cargo room and besides I would like to pick up a ski boat in a year or two anyway.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's a great truck. Keep in mind that it is NOT 4x4. It's AWD. Big difference. If you just want leather, then the Sierra SLT will save probably $10k. The Denali carries with it higher "prestige", some unique styling, exclusive 6.2L V8 and 6-speed auto transmission. So that may or may not be worth the price for you.

3. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Ok call me stupid but my impression is 4x4 = AWD. no?

The buy in for the denali was a more luxious interior (something I wanted the heates seats is nice but with remote start I can't see me using it much if at all). The bigger engine was a bit of an attraction for me as is the 6speed but hardly a deal maker/breaker

It just seems like the Denali has the nicer/more comfortable interior. The tundra for example to get leather you have to basically price it out to 39k which at that point I may as well go with the Denali. Titan comes down to pretty similiar issue and the F150 as far as I can tell needs a powerplant redesign.

4. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Essentially it's always in 4WD, to my knowledge the 4x4 system isn't any different than what other Sierras with full-time 4WD use. For what you will use it for it makes no difference to you if it is.

If I were spending big money on a truck, the Denali would get my money easy. It is infinitely more handsome inside and out than the Tundra or any other truck on the market.

5. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

kind of my thinking. IN the end most towing it will see is a ski boat so really any of the trucks out there would do but it seems like since I want a semi luxury truck that this one is perfect. I could obviously go with an SUV but a 4 door truck seems inifinitely more useful and quite frankly I love the look of them.

So I guessi n the end denali is only serious car to look at nothing else will get me close and save a bit of money?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

No. They're quite different. Traditional trucks operate mainly in a rear-wheel-drive configuration. The user can then select (in advance) to equally distribute power between front and rear axles. The "low" selection (generally only available in 4wd) provides an additional gear reduction at the transfer-case to provide additional torque.

GM is unique in their half-ton models by offering a "Auto 4x4" mechanism. This is NOT the same as AWD. It simply monitors slip in the drivetran and can automatically switch you between 2Hi and 4Hi.

The Denali uses an AWD setup. This utilizes a center differential like most other AWD setups. This allows (potentially) all 4 wheels to get power at any given time, but also allows slippage to occur. Under this condition, the front and rear driveshafts would be allowed to spin at different speeds, relative to each other. In a traditional 4x4 situation, this would not be allowed. The Denali lacks any ability to disable the system -- it is always on. The Denali also completely lacks a Lo range.

It's a good system for CASUAL STREET use. I would not take it offroad.

7. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Ok I understand the variable power thing so thats fine. And for what my intended use is (something decent in winter unlike a rwd sport coupe) and some light hauling occasionally then the GM AWD would probably be ideal for me. I'm not going to be hauling any heavy work trailers anytime soon so.

Shrug I got a few more months really don't want to pick this up any earlier then febuary but well considering trucks is a new world for me figured it's time to start looking.