Siemens SX66 vs Treo 650: Need opinions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ytownsuperhero, Jul 11, 2005.

1. ytownsuperhero

ytownsuperhero New Member

If you have ever used either of the two, list the pros and cons of your personal experience. I'm torn between the two.:x:

2. sp33d

sp33d New Member

oh oh oh me! im not even going to explain my self. TREO. unless you have a boner for windows software and always plan on using a bluetooth headset or feel like carring a mini sized PC tablet in your pocket. their huge. the keyboard SUCKS, if it wasnt a phone it would be alot cooler :(

3. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

Con's of the Treo 650:

If you don't have Sprint service you won't be able to upgrade to 1.08 Firmware which solves a lot of problems. There are a bunch of firmware hacks floating around www.treocentrol.net for the non Sprint users.

Like any smart phone it's got it's own soft reset problems.

All in all the Treo 650 is an awsome phone.

4. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

I'm trying to make the same decision, the sx66 has wireless so you might wanna keep that in mind

5. bilmind

bilmind Licka' Licka' High

I have had both and the only thing I enjoyed more over the SX66 on the Treo is the functionality of the keyboard, its easier to use one-handed... Other than that, I choose the SX66. I went through three 650's, problem after problem and finally just said give me the SX66. This is my first and have not had any problems with it.

I synchronize OTA with Exchange for my e-mail (Push, BB-Like), contacts and calendar. This way my wife can see my schedule from home or on-the-go as well...

I did like ChatterMail / Snappermail on the Palm.

You just have more capability with the SX66. Its all up to what you need it for.

6. onedownfiveup

You can purchase a WiFi SD Card for the Treo. It's actually for the Tungsten T5 but there is a firm ware hack.

7. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

man I haven't been in here for a while.

TREO: best part is how well the buttons are integrated, youcan really do everthing one-handed. Stability isn't like it used to be, but its not bad either. I have the treo, its nice, I read my news, email on it. Great for writing texts/emails/im, good size for use as a phone. the screen is great. EDGE is a nice feature in teh GSM variants.

SX66-Good PDA, ok phone. The screen is large so brwosing teh web is a more pleasurable experience, but it uses GPRS instead of edge so loading times will be longer. I personally love teh PPC os for a pda, as aphone, its still immature. The sliding design is nice, but overal the phone is big. Wifi is a plus, thigns really fly with the wifi enabled. The fast processor is noticeable over the treo's slower (but still highly functional) one, but overall, you can't go wrong with either.

8. ytownsuperhero

wifi card on treo doesnt work well.........as i've read on other forums..........anyone else have an opinion?

9. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

yea you're right, it wont work very well in the treo, not worth the headache. What are you specifically looking for? Can you rank everything in the order of importance? (ie surfing, talking, text, email, calendar, etc)

10. onedownfiveup

I personally thought that the speed of my Treo with the PalmOne WiFi SD card was noticeable. I didn't pay for my card so I guess that helps in my decision in liking it. It was a lot faster than the normal speeds, but it wasn't quite as fast as my cable line like it is on my computer.

Down side to the hack is you have to reset the Treo to get your regular internet to work without the SD card.

11. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

Yea, i also heard of massive stability issues with doing it too. I have wifi networks all over campus and at home/at my apt., but then again I'm right by a computer anyway (and I have a laptop). I have EDGE on my treo, and I'm on Cingular with its nationwide network, so it works out well for me :)

12. ytownsuperhero

can someone tell me how well bluetooth would work for internet if i romed around the house?

in order of importance: Phone, scheduler/daily planner, internet (free access), games

13. onedownfiveup

Yeah, I really only would use it for the cool factor. Anywhere I was at with WiFi access I had computer access. When I used the WiFi SD Card I never really had any stability problems. But I didn't use it that often.

You have Edge, I don't even have EVDO.

14. onedownfiveup

I'm more partial to the Treo 650. Only reason being is I own one. I've never used the SX66 enough to really be able to compare. The size factor has a big play in the deicsion for me and I love the one handed capability the Treo 650 has.

Honestly I would go and play with both for a few to make sure you like what you get. I had the time to play with the Treo 650 for well over 3 months before I decided to justify spending $600 to get it.

What service are you going to go with? That has a lot to do with unlimited internet access. I know Sprint has unlimited for $15 (Vision). I know T-Mobile's T-Zones is $19.95 but not sure about Verizon and Cingular's.

Both phones are geat for what you listed. I was more of a PPC person and disliked Palm's. But after playing with the Treo I fell in love.

I will say this, I'm not happy with the sound quality of the Treo 650 (earpiece) If I use a head set it's better, but even after the 1.08 updater for Sprint it still wansn't night and day difference.

15. ytownsuperhero

bluetooth my friend....

16. onedownfiveup

I'm not sure, all I've used Bluetooth for is ear piece.

Are you talking about being connected to your computer connected to the cable modem and using Bluetooth to hook up to the internet?

17. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

you can do backwards DUN but I don't know why you'd really want to. I really like having unlimited net on my treo so i can access it whenever wherever without having to do a bluetooth connection. I used to do it for the cool factor, but that quickly wore offafter a few days.

18. onedownfiveup

That's what the Wi-Fi SD Card was for. "Cool Factor"

19. onedownfiveup

I still like my Treo 650. :)

20. ytownsuperhero

so what exactly is invovled with making the treo 650 wifi compatible?

21. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

firmware hack, messing around with some settings, praying that it'll work, or soft resetting it until it does :o

22. ytownsuperhero

23. ytownsuperhero

kungfuwoo your final opinion?

24. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

yup i'm gonna be getting my sx66 this month :x:

25. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

alright. Here's my opinion.

If you want a device that is more data orientated, then the SX66 is going to be the better choice IF you are surrounded by hotspots/wifi a lot. The 3.5" screen that has landscape capability natively is great for browsing, even if the res is a bit low at 240x320. However, it only uses GPRS, so if you're on cingular, you won't have the benefit of the faster internet utilizing EDGE (it really does make a difference). In addition, if you want to play games and watch movies, the SX66 is good. Be forwarned, the SX66 is ~$100 more the last time i checked.

The Treo is the better "phone" I say this because you can dial easier, the thumboard is exposed all the time, and one-handed operation is actually possible with most apps, including the phone. The phone is tightly integrated, its nice because you can dial numbers from text messages or on the web/email. Speaking of email, the keyboard has better feel than on the SX66, so it will be easier to email, and the addition of EDGE will make it worthwhile.

Both have lots of apps available for them, both are great machines. It really depends on the following factors - if you are really heavy on data and want a fast connection at all times, even without wifi present, then go with the Treo b/c it has edge. If you can bear 56k like speeds, and then hop on wifi when you're by a hotspot, then by all means, the sx66 is better. If you just let me know the biggest reasons why you want/need one of these, i can probably make a decision for ya :) Let me know.