side case fan. blow in or out?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Achance007, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

I have one fan in the front blowing in, 2 in the back blowing out, and the one on the side was set to blow out but Im thinking that it should be blowing in to help cool the graphics card. So should it be blowing In or out?

2. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

Is it sitting right above the CPU fan, and is the CPU fan blowing toward the CPU or away from the CPU (more common)? I would try to keep it in line with the CPU fan so that it will be a boost fan rather than a competitive fan if it is close to the CPU fan at all. This means that in most cases I would have it blowing out, this usually will create a negative pressure inside the case with having three exhast and one intake, but this will draw air in from every nook and crannie, so it is not necessarily a bad situation.

3. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

the side fan sits below the cpu fan, right in front of the graphic card. And the cpu fan has a exhaust shield that routes the air to the back two fans.

[​IMG]

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ideally, you would have NO side case fan.

5. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

uhh but i do, so which way should it blow...in or out

6. {WBK}Blood_Lust

{WBK}Blood_Lust New Member

why would it be ideal to not have the fan?

7. dimins

dimins I'll bring the beers ... OT Supporter

my vote goes to "blow in". 2 in, 2 out. Makes sense.

8. dimins

dimins I'll bring the beers ... OT Supporter

why not explain "why" and help the guy out?

9. {WBK}Blood_Lust

{WBK}Blood_Lust New Member

if it is pointing towards your vid card i'd say blow in but i haven't got any idea, it's just a guess

10. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

in the perfect world where we have no cables (or perfectly strapped away cables) and have perfect front to back air flow then you would be right. but in his case you're wrong, so go fuck yourself.

to the original poster, i'd say have it blowing in, this will give more fresh air to the GPU and CPU. you don't want negative air pressure, you want a steady flow of air through the case.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

so instead of MAKING it right you'd rather be a dumbass tard. whatever. People scare me.

Do it once. Do it right.

12. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

in a lot of instances, a perfectly organized case is improbable or impossible.

it scares you that people would rather buy a case with a fan on the side than spend a week organizing their cables? christ no-wonder you're a miserable old cunt

13. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

A side case fan is kind of a bad idea. very inefficient as far as cooling goes except for VERY specific solutions.

My case setup follows the basic physics I learned in HS. I have an intake fan the the bottom-front of the case. I have two exhaust fans at the top (one case, one power supply) This creates a low pressure area in the case and accelerates air from bottom to top (coldest to hottest)
    My CPU runs at 29 degrees C. no matter what I do.
    The side case fan is going to disrupt flow in the case although the introduction of more air is never a bad thing. I would use it to bring air in if you must have itl The heat sink and CPU fan will distribute it and the other fan(s) will exhaust it.
    Seriously, I'd remove the fan and any ducting and place the fan lower in the case. It should serve you better there.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It is not impossible. And a "perfectly" organized case isn't required... Just one that isn't a shamble of wires. Doesn't take more than 10 minutes when building the system to route cabling neatly instead of haphazardly.

15. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I must agree with notsojollyogre.

cable ties are your friend. Just tie them out of the way and you'll be much happier later on when your board doesn't cook itself.

16. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

I put sleeves on all of my wires then I tie them off with zip ties, works wonders and the inside looks great.

17. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Exhaust fans regulate heat much better than intake.

18. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

agreed

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

disagree

they both play an equal part.

20. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Total CFM through the case is what matters. Too much/too little intake or exaust can cause air to stay in the case too long and result in heat buildup. It needs to be balanced so air moves through the case quickly. Having one intake and three exaust fans (assuming they are all about equal in capacity) is just as bad as having three intake and one exaust fan.

21. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

They do, but it depends on a variety of aspects. But equality requires a 50/50 contribution from both exhaust and intake. Since most people do not know how to rig their kit for optimized air flow, sticking an exhaust fan would do much better than an intake fan.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wrong.

Air has to GO somewhere. So whether you're pusing in or pulling out, it has to COME from somewhere, and it has to START from some where. Neither is better than the other.

23. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Wrong.

An intake fan will accumulate heat inside of the case because there is no exhaust fans for the air to escape. Accumulated heat is much worse than bringing in room temperature air because then you're just trapping the air. An exhaust fan is an escape for the hot air to be released from the case. That is why exhaust is better than than intake. If they're not working together, you're trapping air.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're just ignorant. A fan is NOT going to create enough compression to raise the pressure inside the case. Pushing air in will force existing air out of the case. Likewise, pulling air will force air into the case.

For every cubic inch of air you move in, you move a cubic inch of air out. For every cubic inch of air you suck out, you suck a cubic inch of air in.

IT IS THE SAME FUCKING THING.

Go take a physics class.

25. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Haha. You need the physics class here, bud. You're clueless. It is obviously clear you have no idea what's going on with air compression with intake/exhaust. You're like the Pedophile of air cooling.