Sick of vista already

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by et3rnul, Feb 4, 2007.

1. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

I've been playing around with Vista for a few days now, and I'm already sick of it. Other than the eye candy, there is nothing really that compels me to switch over permanently. Being used to XP, Vista's Explorer is confusing. The Control panel is completely different. It didn't recognize my integrated sound either, wtf? This is a problem I have with old linux distros, not something that should be found in a commercial product.

Good thing it was free from my university; I would not pay for this. Anyone feel the same? Going back to my XP partition before you can reply.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

oh the horror! its something different to learn!

3. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I remember when everyone said XP was just eyecandy, I agreed and am actually still using win2kpro. However, XP took over the world and so will Vista.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Don't be a smartass. XP's user interface is perfectly serviceable as it is -- it's effective, it's not confusing, and it's got continuity with previous versions of Windows NT. The problem is, Microsoft did such a good job on XP (relative to previous, non-NT versions of Windows) that they didn't really have anything to improve on, and in lieu of having actually gotten their fancy new ideas to work, the only thing left for them to do was experiment, see if they could come up with something different but just as effective. Kinda like how Volkswagen "improved" newer models of my car by adding an electro-hydraulic parking brake -- thus eliminating that pesky pull-handle. Except now, if the brake lines leak, you can't stop the car, and if the parking brake switch fails, you'll screech to a stop in the middle of traffic -- true story, not just hypothetical.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I don't get it either to be honest. It's a solution waiting for a problem IMHO.

And I would still be on W2K if it wasn't for the craptastic load times of SP4.

6. dilligaf

dilligaf -

I've been using vista for 3 days now. I'm not sure if I like it or not. It has locked up a few times and sometimes the icons won't show up. The new look is pretty neat. Firefox seems to have issues with it sometimes.

The thing that I can not get to work is a bit torrent program.

7. deusexaethera

I'm not switching anyway. If I want eye candy, I can turn on WindowBlinds. Now, if Vista actually included a database filesystem with near-instant search speeds, and...whatever the hell else it was supposed to have...then I would consider buying it. As it stands, XP does everything I need, and it runs on hardware I already own. Realtime defragging would be nice, but at least on my office workstations I can set them up to delete garbage and defrag twice a week automatically.

8. dilligaf

dilligaf -

I was told by one guy in another thread that bittorrent worked for him.

I've tried bittorrent, utorrent, bit tornado(or something like that). None of them work for me. I've disabled the firewall and the other security stuff.

The torrent won't download, i don't even think it connects. My browser will not open while the torrent program is running and my e-mail cant connect either.

I have to quit the torrent program then turn off the wireless or disable the connection and then reset everything. The broswer will pop open and everything works again. As long as I don't run a torrent program all is well.

9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Vista Shmista. I got caught off guard this past weekend on a Vista help call.

My friends pal needed basic two-computer/router setup help.
    Oh, and by the way, could I while I was at it, help them setup their new computer?

Sure, why not.

Fucker was a brand new Microcenter basic pc but it already came with Vista.

Great. :squint:

So I start doing the setup, and not having gotten off my ass to install it on one of my drives yet, I had yet to see just how much they changed. :o

I read somewhere that Nero 6.6 was supposed to work. It didn't.

I read that the Klite 2.83 codec pack worked. Well it does sort of,
    but it doesn't allow youtube or google videos to play like it does on my XP machine.

And like I said, it was a basic Microcenter pc, so it only had 512mb.
    Think slooooooooooowwwwwwwww everything. Oh, and it didn't seem to
    have aero available as a result of the shared memory video chipset.

A big pain in the ass, a little bit more secure for now, everything in a new spot so the guy and his wife who don't know much about computing as it is, will probably be calling my buddy who will of course call me, about
    an os that I'm not even running. :eek3:

10. dilligaf

dilligaf -

I tried to download azureus but their page wasn't working for me. i'll try it again. Thanks.

11. firemunki

firemunki I am the patron saint of lost causes

user error:

[​IMG]

12. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

13. dilligaf

dilligaf -

I don't doubt the programs will work however, they have not for me. On my xp computer I installed it and then used it without any problems.

I still can not get any of the programs to work. They still make it to where I can not use the internet while they are running.

Since you are not having problems perhaps you could offer some advice to me.

14. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

If Microsoft's programmers were more like you...

..well then that would make perfect sense!

"Works for me" might be more appropriate. Like, can you point out the particular error the user made?

No => It is not necessarily a user error.

15. deusexaethera

Vista's error messages aren't any better than XP's, though they are perhaps more concise:

[​IMG]

True story. :eek3:

16. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

faggot error, who listens to fall out boy :ugh:

17. deusexaethera

They have that one song that's kinda good. While we're on the topic of emo and things related, why are you acting like the guy is defined by the media he consumes? Are you 14 or something? Grow up kid.

18. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

[​IMG]

19. firemunki

firemunki I am the patron saint of lost causes

i actually really didn't wnat to download the CD after hearing their single because it really bothered me because i used to listen to fall out boy before they got weird...but when i saw this thread, i needed to find a quick torrent to download to take a screen shot...

20. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I'm waiting till my Uni offers it through MSDN-AA, it's supposed to be available soon. I'll get a cheep copy if not free, then put it on an older system and see what happens. Not about to touch my laptop for another 6 months or more...I'll let others work out the bugs.