Shuttle XPC SN45G w/ 2500+ Running a tad hot

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scoob_13, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Does anyone else have one of these systems? I've got it using the stock cooling the radiator which is mounted on top of a 2500+, and I'm seeing temps around 48C/118F, which seems fairly high for what supposedly was supposed to cool better than a plain AMD fan.

When I went to pick up another tube of Arctic Silver, I was told that the particular store didn't carry it because it "wasn't any good, and we don't sell anything that's not good" but that's beside the point.

Anyhow, I'm using Antec Thermal Grease at the moment, and I have a feeling that this is the cause of my problems. Any thoughts?

On a side, note, this is a pretty cool little system. I've sold about 5 of them to coworkers as I was building it over the course of the day :cool:

$500 for a complete system, $650 for the system + a 19" flat screen CRT. Not too shabby.

2. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

:rofl: AS3 is good. Whoever told you that is dumb.

48C under LOAD isn't so bad.

I used to have an SN45G too.
    Get some Artic Silver 5.
    First mod most people do is to cut out the grill in the back for the ICE fan and the PSU fan. That should help airflow and temps a bit.
    Next is to find a better fan for the ICE.
    Most people stop here, but you can improve temps more by adding a top blowhole. An 80mm fan behind the CD drive blowing cooling air in the case and getting sucked out through the ICE would help CPU temps.

Time to overclock the sucker. :big grin:

3. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

my xp2200+ runs at 45-47C idle, and 48-52C load on a stock heatsink thats not even running at 2000 rpm :ugh:

4. Scoob_13

While 48C under load isn't bad, I'm used to the processor being quite a bit lower - and seeing as I've read site after site mention that they have no issues with heat dissipation, I'd like to make sure that mine is running optimally.

I switched out the stock fan for a different one, and it dropped the temps by 4C, without increasing the noise. I had actually decided last night to cut out that back grill for the ICE fan, and while I'm doing it (probably this weekend) I'll go ahead and take out the PSU grill. Thanks for the suggestion, glad to know I'm not the only one that wants to rip into what is effectively a $300 case :o

I'd prefer to leave the 1 fan on the ICE unit, as I had planned on riveting on a leather carry strap. I may be able to swing it, but I'm not certain.

I'll order the AS5 in a couple of minutes. I won't be overclocking the machine, though, since it's actually for business purposes, and I need the reliability aspect, thus my desire for lower temps. I may also see about getting a chipset fan since it appears to be running a little warm.

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

My 2500+ (in a normal PC, not a Shuttle) idles in the mid to high 40's usually (with the stock AMD HSF and Arctic Silver).

6. manixc

manixc New Member

hi, is Shuttle pc hard to build?
    i've thinking of building one myself but I know absolutely nothing about building pc

7. Scoob_13

Not at all, it's actually one of the easier ones to sort out since most of it is built for you.

Just follow the instructions, and keep a working computer nearby to ask for help if you need it.

8. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

It's a snap. Just mangle your cables well. :)

9. Scoob_13

I would almost say that you mean manage, but mangle is more like it :o

I found that the cables they supply are actually amazing good to use.

10. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Oh yea manage. :o