Shutting off Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BlueJeans, Aug 4, 2008.

1. BlueJeans

BlueJeans Money For Nothing

Do any of you unplug (turn off the power to the powerbar) your Airport Extreme overnight?

Does it harm it at all turning it on and off?

It always stays so warm even when not in use that I wonder if it woudn't be wiser to shut it down overnight to prolong it's life expectancy. Also, if it is so warm, it's obviously consuming needless power for an 8 hour stretch that it's not in use at all.

Just curious what others are doing.

Also, my cable modem is on the same powerbar. If I power them both down and power them both up with the same switch on the powerbar could you see that causing any problems? My first wireless router and I am a bit unsure of myself here. :)

Thanks for any help,info.

2. Ant

Ant Serious Business.

24/7 365, only shuts down for upgrades

3. The Bilingual Gringo

The Bilingual Gringo KMD, 3rd Bass, just ace in the hole

I actually just went out of town for 5 days and shut everything off. I have that on the same powerbar w/ my modem as well.

I turned it back on when I got back into town and everything was cool.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i don't have an airport extreme, but i leave my dsl modem, router, and switches on all the time. they generate quite a bit of heat, so i make sure that they have plenty of room around them. also make sure the vents aren't full of dust. don't stack components, i'm sure it won't lower the life, but it will increase the heat
    you could always put a little fan on it, but thats overkill and will add noise etc

also, in theory it might be harder on the electronics if they have multiple cooldown and heatup periods. the electronics will expand with heat, each expansion and contraction could "in theory" weaken the electronics.

it will be fine, just leave it plugged in

5. BlueJeans

BlueJeans Money For Nothing

Guess most people are just leaving them on. I must be getting brainwashed from the power everything down movement. lol

Thanks for the responses. :)