A&P Shutter Speed

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by k270, Aug 17, 2004.

1. k270

k270 Guest

I just discovered that I can set my shutter speed to stay open up to 30 seconds at a time. Any suggestions as to what to take pics of with the shutter speed set at open for 30 seconds? I've taken a couple but the light was so bright it was a waste. I've taken others also of cars on the freeway, they turned out ok. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance!

2. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

A shutter speed that long is only good for dark settings (night time or a verrry dark room). The cars on the freeway shots can be done at a shutter speed of 10-15seconds and still look good depending on the speed of the cars.

3. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Shutter speeds that slow will render any moving object as a blur. Slow shutter speeds are used whenever the light level is too low to make an acceptable exposure at "normal" shutter speeds. Examples include nighttime shots of buildings. Another cool night shot is to have moving cars in the foreground and buildings in the background. The cars will be moving streaks of light and the buildings will be sharp. Obviously, a tripod is a must whenever you shoot at slow shutter speeds.

You can use slow shutter speeds during the day to shoot things like water in a stream. However you will have to use extremely slow film and neutral density filters on the lens to limit the amout of light entering the camera otherwise you'll simply overexpose the shot.