Shutter Island SPOILER*** Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by God of Thunder, Feb 20, 2010.

1. God of Thunder

God of Thunder New Member

A
    b
    c
    d
    e
    f
    g
    h

Ok. The letters are so people hovering over can't read it. But the ending. I'm confused. If he made the comment 'is it better to die as a man or live as a monster' and was back to believing he was a cop, why would he just get up and walk with them to get lobotomized??

2. Paraprakrti

Paraprakrti New Member

For him, "dying as a good man" meant pretending to be the U.S. Marshall so that he could get rid of the monster via lobotomy. And "living as a monster" meant not pretending to be the Marshall and thus having to live with the knowledge of what he did.

3. Paraprakrti

Paraprakrti New Member

The decision he made at the end is very similar to the decision the protagonist made at the end of Oldboy. Have you seen that movie?

4. God of Thunder

unfortunately no, ill hafta go look for it!

5. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

just got back from it. i loved it...my friends all still think he was a cop that was brainwashed into thinking hes insane

6. Paraprakrti

Paraprakrti New Member

Here's my problem with that theory:

If he really is a cop that came to the island, then they brainwashed him in merely two days. Somehow or other, they fed him all that stuff about his wife killing their kids and him killing his wife in only two days and he believed it. Not to mention that we never see them doing this.

7. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

I tried arguing with them but they still think it was their conclusion. The supposed drugged cigs and food and asprin I guess lol

8. God of Thunder

I could see that......I mean, you SAW them arriving on a boat......where did they come from??? How did he get off the island in the first place? The flaw there, is how/why was ruffalo a Dr......

9. Paraprakrti

Paraprakrti New Member

Ask them how the woman in the cave said her name was Rachel Solando when "Rachel Solando" was an anagram of his wife's name - part of Andrew/Teddy's delusion.

10. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Exactly. He chose to be lobotomized.

11. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

The more I think about him being insane the more that makes sense and the less him being a cop makes sense.

Thing about the boat ride... when you first see him his is heaving and sick, almost like he is recovering from tranquilizers of some sort.

It would be nothing for the doctors to put him on the boat and tell the boat captain to ferry him around for a few hours and then bring him back.

12. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

the dr said, he encourages the patients to act out their role playing and they themselves actually take part in their "alter" lives (i guess you can call it).

i donno lol, my friends are just dumb lol

13. Socrates

Socrates New Member

It's definitely accepted that he really was insane. That isn't something that Scorsese left up to interpretation.

I thought the ending was awesome. The way he pretended to be insane again at the very end and gave his doctor the hint that he is faking it....

Awesome movie! I think, like Fight Club, it will be much better the next time I see it. That's when you really start noticing everything.

One thing I remember now is Leo's partner (Mark Ruffalo) having problems removing his holster. Obviously a real police officer wouldn't have any problems doing this. Can't wait to buy the DVD!

14. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:werd:

15. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I love the way Scorsese ends his movies. He always has the best endings. The way he kills his main characters is awesome. Especially in The Departed.

16. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

so he faked being insane at the end ?

17. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

but then chuck nodded his head to the 2 doctors/warden.

18. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

no, the hint was when he said "i'd rather die a good man than live like a monster"

19. nateg

nateg New Member

This made the movie. I loved the ending! :bowdown:

20. nateg

nateg New Member

yes

21. Sooka

Sooka New Member

So I got all pumped up for DiCaprio to blow this big conspiracy and kill those crooked ass doctors and... turns out it was all in his head? Eh it was an okay movie, not what I expected and the ending made me feel like I wasted my time. The movie reminds me a lot of A Beautiful Mind, except I expected Crowe to be insane in Beautiful Mind but I didn't expect this movie to make a complete 360.

I honestly believed that DiCaprio wasn't insane and he was going to blow their operation until that stupid flashback with his wife and kids. I didn't really like the movie too much, it felt like a waste of time when I was so interested in DiCaprio getting to the bottom of the conspiracy and blowing the lid off only to find out he really was crazy. The plot of the movie and the ending just felt like absolutely nothing was accomplished causing me to not care about anything that happened in the movie.

Shutter Island: Cop goes to investigate mental hospital, begins to unravel a conspiracy, finds out that they're going to make him crazy so he doesn't blow their operation, cop is detained as a patient, cop finds out he really was crazy and was a patient there for two years, end. It just seems like it was a waste of time watching this movie, I really wish DiCaprio wasn't insane and would've blown their coverup and escaped from the island, I would've enjoyed the movie a lot more if it just stuck with that.

It also seems silly that the entire time DiCaprio was playing detective nearly every single person in the mental institute was playing along with him, especially all the guards and staff, they all incorporated themselves so well into his false reality that it just seems silly and rediculous that they'd do something like that.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  22. ApathyAsylum

ApathyAsylum OT Supporter

saw it last night. thought it was fucking awesome :bowdown:

the ending almost sucked when he started acting like the cop again. then he said his line about living as a monster and you realized he wanted to be lobotomized. best ending

23. Nick Gerz

Nick Gerz OT Supporter

Agreed. He realized that he was not well and chose to end his thoughts.
    I think that the hospital let him live out his fantasies during the movie. You even see his "partner" having trouble removing his holster when they arrive.
    You also see the note "Rachel" left was then written into his notebook...in the same handwriting.

24. Paraprakrti

Paraprakrti New Member

It isn't accurate to say that it was all in his head. They really were playing along with his delusion. He really did have free reign of the island. If it was all in his head, then he would've been sitting in a cell the whole time, imagining that he was out exploring the island. Thankfully, that isn't what was going on. I've already seen Identity, anyway.

25. Spazmatazz

Spazmatazz down is the new up

well, the doctors set the whole thing up to allow him to play out his fantasy, so it makes sense that all the doctors and staff were into it. remember when he was interrogating the staff, they all seemed sort of nonchalant, not really taking him seriously? at the time I thought it was leading to a cover-up of the island with everyone being involved in the conspiracy, but in reality there were playing along with answering questions to an insane patient, so understandably they weren't seeming 100% interested.

and the patients themselves; maybe the ones he interviewed were playing along, but they were from a different ward so maybe they didn't know who he really was. and when he did go to ward C, when he was talking to George Noyce, Noyce told Teddy the truth, that the whole thing was a game for his benefit. and when he was approaching Noyce the other inmates were calling out his real name - Laeddis.