A&P Shutter + Aperture + Flash

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by FlashhslaF, Sep 30, 2008.

1. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

How does one go about meshing all of these together to get consistent results.

Few days back i watched the OneLIGHT dvd that explained how all 3 things work. So I understand adjusting the 3 setting and their effects, but I can't seem to grasp all 3 to work at the same time. I start to fidget with too many setting on the flash or change my shutter speed to get ambient light or change my aperture to control the flash.

So Aside from just practice practice practice advice, Is there a method or an different approach to learn to control all 3 and get consistent results?

I was thinking of putting the flash at one power setting and leaving it there the whole time while I'd adjust the aperture to control it and then set the aperture at one setting and using the flash's power and distance to object to control the exposure?

Does this sound like a good method?

2. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

to me, this is what is great about the world of photography, until the locations you shoot at all remain exactly consistant, there are no real answers to this. it is trial and error for what you like.

You may dial soemthign in that you like, and I could be right next to you and use soemthing else, and our images are different and yet we are each perfectly happy with what we got.

go back and watch disc 2, in the second segment of the dvd with the blonde chick, he had his settings dialed in where he wanted it, and a cloud gave him a shadow and he had to readjust the settings.

But practice practice practice is not always the right answer to successful results either. You should set up something and put the camera in shutter priority and then see how you adjusting the shutter affects teh image and check the aperature setting the camera gave it for proper exposure. Or stick it on full manual and flash and a setting and adjust only the shutter. Experiment with only 1 variable at a time, then roll up your jeans and grow a goat

3. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

the way i've been practicing is to set my aperture for the dof i want, then adjust the flash to properly light everything. then adjust shutter for the ambient exposure i want at that aperture.

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

When you're just getting started with this, it's best to pick one of these 3 and leave it alone. Usually your aperture is the easiest one to not touch.

So say you pick your aperture.... Now you have two other variables to deal with.

Luckily for you, each of these variables deals with one kind of light. So you can separate them by which type of light you want to change.

1st, your shutter speed. Shutter speed = ambient. Does your picture have too much ambient? Not enough? Slow your shutter speed down for more ambient, speed it up for less.

Next is flash power. How much impact do you want your flash to have? Just fill light? power it down. The full fury of the sun? Power it up.

Give that a try. Lemme know how it works...

5. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

6. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

radio poppers, unless you're talking about the soon to be release Jr's won't trigger your flash. All the radio poppers do is convert your IR signal from your master flash, or ste2 to radio making the reliability increase and give better range.

As far as triggers go, I would suggest a set of Cybersync's from Alien Bees. All reviews so far state the same reliability as the PW's, but less range..

7. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

PLEASE GO REREAD MY THREAD!!

That swivel will NOT work with a Canon flash. I added a different swivel. or for 4 bucks you can get the swivel you quoted along with a different cold shoe on it.

8. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

thanks i'll keep that in mind when i order it.