shuold i turbo or swap?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by toyota3sgte3, Aug 9, 2005.

1. toyota3sgte3

toyota3sgte3 Guest

a I have a celica that is kind a slow, and i want to make my turbo kit so far i have toyota supra turbo starion intercooler im going to get my manufold reflaunged to a turbo one Wuold it be easiest to keep the turbo project or swap in a 3sgte (turbo 2.0)?

2. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

What year Celica? I know the 3S does not swap into the 7th (last) generation, at least not without extensive modifications. If it's an older 90s model, I don't know that it's really worth trying to custom turbo the 5S-FE; much better to swap, since the 3S will go in there without too much trouble and be more reliable as a stock engine versus a frankensteined turbo 5S with the same power level.

Of course, it depends on your budget, since a swap will probably run you at least $5k, and your skill level as far as actually getting the 5S project running and hopefully not for a whole lot of money.

3. Eclipsed830

Eclipsed830 Active Member

4. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I think that, generally speaking, a swap will be better in the long run, both for total power and reliability. And engine built for boost will take it better and longer than an NA engine. Plus, turbo an NA engine, and unless you replace all the internals, that's as far as that engine can go, but a turbo engine will have more potential for the future.

5. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

Couple dudes on 6gc.net have turbo'd 5SFE's. What year Celi is this? I've got a 95. Anyway...
    There's some guys putting down nearly 200 with a turbo...but that's probably about all you're gonna get out of it.
    Find yourself a 2nd gen 3s clip for cheap and swap. You won't regret it man.

[​IMG]

6. XakEp

XakEp New Member

Uh... sell it and get something that was intended to go alot faster than 200HP? I mean, if youre really attached to it (like it was your first car or something) then by all means have at it. If you want some real performance I'd rather start with something that has a little more potential per dollar than a celica.

7. atomic punk

atomic punk pretty hate machine

:hsugh:

that really depends on the motor. there is a mazda mx3 with a stock-internals bp05 (n/a 1.8l) that has a turbo setup and is making 425whp.

tuning is the key.

8. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

Well, that's TRUE it DOES depend on the motor....and you won't see much with the 5SFE. 3SGTE for the win. Such a great engine, along with the 4G63...