GUN SHTF Ammo situation

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by black96gtvert, Jan 14, 2006.

1. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

I know some of you might think this is crazy but whatever.
    My Mom was wanting to do some 72hour kits. so if a natural or some sort of disaster happened we would be prepared. Well they are wanting to buy a gun safe and keep ammo in there just for the SHTF situation. So i was wondering i have alot of bulk ammo such as wolf for my ak and stuff. Should i buy nicer ammo like hollow points? or will the bulk be fine? My dad was thinking buy a whole bunch of hollow points for every gun and keep them in the safe, and keep using the wolf and other cheap stuff for the range...

guns that would pertain to this
    Ar15 .223x5.56
    ak47 7.62x39
    xd40 40sw
    taurus 38 special
    beretta p92 9mm
    browning abolt 208
    then of course like shotties and stuff but i guess regular stuff would be fine

2. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

But when it comes down to it, ammo > no ammo. As long as it's reliable in yoru firearms.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'de try to always keep atleast 2k rounds on hand each for AR and AK, few wolf spam cans for the AK works good for storage, for the AR som M193 or other decent surplus, handguns 300 rounds + each, those I'de go with HP's. 500-1000 rounds of 308. slugs and 00 for shotty

4. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

What would be wrong with ball ammunition?

5. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Sitting on my roof picking off zombies with my AR

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I guess it depends on what shtf is for you. Some people are planning for zombie hordes and mad max. I think something like katrina is far more likely. A few full magazines of pistol rounds and a few full magazines for the shotgun/rifle will actually probably be quite sufficient. Its not near as impressive looking a pile of course and if you've got the money why not, but will you actually be using every gun in the safe?

I'd have several hundred dollars in small bills at home before I had cases and cases of ammo.

7. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

Thanks for the help guys.

Yeah every gun would be used. since i have 3 members of my family living at home and one friend lives with us. but ill be heading out to utah for college in the fall...

8. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

wtf is .223x5.56

9. Accord

Accord New Member

I have 3 mags loaded with high quality Sellier & Bellot ammo ready to go incase SHTF, then the rest of my ammo is all Wolf that I use at the range.

10. johan

johan Active Member

I think you want a certain quantity of high quality self-defense type ammo for your handgun.

In the 9mm, I would go for JHP 124g Gold Dots or something similar.

Obviously if you start shooting seriously, you'll probably have a lot of 115g fmj range type stuff, but SHTF is basically an extended self-defense scenario.

So that means high-quality, RELIABLE ammo that you have tested and confirm feeds reliably in your firearm.

Secondly if things really do go bad, you'll probably need more rifle/shotgun ammo than pistol ammo. Most pistol situations are 2-3 rounds and last a few seconds.

Lastly, most important of all, since you say that your parents have only recently decided to arm themselves....take some training courses and get to the range and practice. Skill > ammo > weapon