A&P Showing in a Gallery - Questions

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TheManLouisianaFace, Jul 1, 2009.

1. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Got accepted to a local gallery...don't have a clue about anything.

They charge 10%.

So I guess it's up to me to get these prints framed/matted/hung right?
    Big prints? Small prints?
    What's a starting price for an unknown?

I don't have the size of wallspace I'll have yet.

2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Jared had a Gallery showing a while back... maybe get some info from him? :dunno:

Oh, and congrats! :bigthumb:

3. TheManLouisianaFace

thanks! I'm so green at this though it's ridic :o

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Nice!!! Congrats! I had the full gallery to myself, so my wall space was wide open, and your amount of space will be absolutely critical to what you can do, but here's what I learned:

Spend a TON of time designing your space. People will pay attention to your ability to use space as much as they will your photography. If you fuck it up, you'll hear people commenting on that more than your actual work.

As for pricing, you'll need to go to shows in the area to see how they're priced, then gauge yourself and where you're at in comparison. You'll also need to decide if you want to go with 'limited edition' prints or just a general print. I went with limited edition, and based my number in the edition on the size of my print. The 52x40 that I did for the window was listed at $600, in an edition of 10. So far I've sold 3 of the 10! But I got much cheaper at the small end, and sold a lot more of those - but the editions are up around 250/300....

But the most important thing I learned is: HAVE A WEBSITE OR OTHER MATERIAL UP AND READY!! My wedding business has increased 10 fold since the show, mostly in the surrounding area, simply because my name and reputation got out. And my website sucks. If you talk to 100 people and hand out cards, a lot of them will look. Looking means follow-up potential. I only sold 1 52x40 that night, the other 2 came from emails or calls WEEKS after the show. The first guy said he looked at the shot on my site about 100x before deciding to spend the $$....

What are you showing? pics? When's the show? Want some Canvas? (hehe)

edit: real most important thing I learned: Johan's advice is so good you should pay him if he posts here. I can't search to see if the threads still exist, but he pretty much held my hand through the whole thing. :bowdown:

5. TheManLouisianaFace

Thanks for the tips! It's a series that's abandoned and decayed in Louisiana.

Yeah...I love your canvas work man, I need to find out the wall space I'll have and then try to lay things out and figure out sizing.

6. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Love to see the series!

The whole printing/matting/framing choice is always hard. Choosing papers, mat colors, frame designs... Took me FOREVER. I don't envy you making those choices...

Good Luck!!

7. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i didn't know you were into photography

8. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

congrats but i won't be much help. i would love to see the photos though. :cool:

9. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Jared, what's your website?

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I haven't updated this in about 6 months because i'm working on a complete redesign, so it's really out of date...

http://www.32countiesphoto.com/

11. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Wow, are you coding that yourself :eek3: or are you using a template based hosting?

edit: I really need a website :o

12. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

it started off as a template, but I hated the limitations, so I coded a lot of it myself to make it more user friendly, with the help of some co-workers who know this stuff much better than I do. (which is why the redesign is taking so long...)

It's the part about photography that I like the least to be honest, so I really don't put as much effort towards it as I should... :hsd:

13. TheManLouisianaFace

Do you think it would be ok to mix b&w and color? Or keep it uniform?

My series is small, I don't have near the body of work you guys do, so I'm being stretched :o

Nice site and work jared!