GUN Show me your vertical fore-grips!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KW, Nov 25, 2003.

1. KW

KW Guest

I see tons of AR's with them and decided to buy a cheapo setup just to try it out and see if I liked it.

[​IMG]

So far I'm liking it. There may be a KAC FF RAS in my future. :x:

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Yeah, a RAS should be in your future. No offense, but I don't see how anyone could bastardize their black beauty with Fobus rails...

Here's my little black buddy...

[​IMG]

3. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Nice Wilson :naughty:

Edit: I think that's a Wilson :o

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

[​IMG]

Small pic, but you get the idea.

5. KW

KW Guest

Well like I said, it's just temporary so I can see if I like shooting it like that or not. Only cost $40 ... figured I rather spend that now, then drop $300 on a RAS and another $50 or so on a good grip to decide I didn't like it.

6. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

:drool: dear god thats sexy

i cant wait till i get my 2nd AR. i plan to set it up kinda like that

7. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

LOL, thanks bud.

And yes, Platinum_Thunder, that is a Wilson.

I've got a few more pics on my page http://webpages.charter.net/usmcsilver

8. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

:wtc: I really need to move.

9. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

:rofl: :hug:

10. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Ok I dont know these guns. What are they? How much do they cost? Are they legal? Semi or fully auto? What do they shoot? I WANT ONE!

11. KW

KW Guest

All the guns posted are versions of the AR-15 (the civilian version of the US Militaries M-16/M-4 rifles and carbines). They are legal, but the laws surrounding them are rather complex. Basically you have 3 catagories of legal AR-15s.

Top of the food chain are the NFA (reffering to the National Firearms Act which banned further production and sale of fully automatic weapons) guns. These are legal full-autos that were produced, registered and sold prior to the ban in 1986 (this also includes some registered parts kits that will convert any AR into a full auto). The can be modified to any configuration and have almost no restrictions on what you can do with them. Prices on these are usually in the $8,000 + range for a factory full auto, or $3-4000 + for a registered legal parts kit (there are two types of these, Drop in Auto Sears, and Lightning Links) that will install into your rifle.

Next in line are the so called pre-bans (reffering to the 1994 AWB). These are semi-auto weapons that were manufactured and sold prior to the 1994 ban. These guns has flash hiders, collapsible stocks, and bayonet lugs that were banned in 1994. The price for these is usually in the $1200-2000 range.

Last are the post-bans ... semi-autos built after the 1994 ban up to the present. These guns can't have callapsible stocks, bayonet lugs, or flash hiders and usually range from around $700-$1000 brand new.

Most AR-15s are chambered in 5.56x45mm (AKA .223 rem), but one of the really cool things about the AR-15 design is that the upper portion of the gun (which includes the barrel, bolt etc) seperates from the lower with two push pins. The lower portion is considered the actual gun and is the only controlled part. The uppers are interchangeable (and can bought easily because they aren't considered an actual gun), and can be had in a variety of calibers. Most like I said are 5.56, but you can get them in 7.62x39, 9mm, .40, .45, 10mm, .357 sig, .300 whipser, .458 socom, .22lr, .50AE, .50bmg and many others. You can see where this is going ... the options with these guns are almost unlimited.

Check out www.ar15.com for more info.

12. Welsh0913

Welsh0913 OT Supporter

:bowdown: to your collection

13. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

hey, kelly, why don't you secure your tapeswitch with a piece of innertube? just curious.

i myself won't be getting a pistol grip, because i utilize an L-grab. when i get my surefire M962SU, i'll have to find a way to attach the tapeswitch to the delta ring or something.

also, for those of you looking at a Knight's pistol grip, look at an advanced armament one. they're cheaper, and almost completely identical. the AAC is like 1/64" thicker and longer or something equally unnoticeable.

also, i don't remember the name of it, but there's a pistol grip that attaches like kelly's (it may be the same one, i can't tell) to the rail, instead of the standard inside the tube clamping. this frees up the inside of the grip to hold batteries for lights, or spare parts, whatever. also, it has a little recessed part for accomodating a tapeswitch so that it doesn't protrude so much from the pistol grip.

14. Platinum_Thunder

How much for the Wilson?

15. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

About $1,700. I guess it was worth it, but the last 1911 I built will hang with the Wilson all day long.

[​IMG]

After refinishing it to look like the Wilson, I decided I didn't want a copy, so I went with the traditional black. Not bad IMHO...

[​IMG]

16. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i haven't had any trouble with it coming loose. If i were frontline, i definitely would have it tubed down for security, but at this point, i've used it enough as is that it doesn't concern me.

Yes, that is the the Dieter CQD grip on my gun that you're refering to. i thought it was inane to spend $90 for a grip, but i had some spare goody cash and once i tried it, it now seems stupid to spend $40-50 for some wiggly thing made out of plastic.

17. footratfunkface

usmcsilver, are you a lefty?

18. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Umm, no, why do you ask?

19. footratfunkface

well, i just realized that you probably have no control over it, but the placement of the tapeswitch on the M900 is what made me think of it. if you were lefty, your right hand would be holding the pistol grip, and your right fingertips would be in a position to hit the switch. as it is now, a righty would have to hit that switch with the palm or something. it just seems odd for me. but i don't know if you can change that with the surefire pistolgriplight.

20. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

LOL, gotcha. You know, I had never thought of that before and I was almost sure that it felt natural to turn it on. I just broke the AR outta the safe and realized the reason it is comfortable is because it is an ambidextrious switch. There are pressure pads on each side so, essentially, it doesn't matter what hand you use. Also, to turn on the entry LEDs, you use your thumb on a different pad near the top.

21. footratfunkface

ah, i see. that seems like you'd accidentally turn the light on sometimes because of the placement of the tapeswitch under your palm.

as far as led's go, i think i'm going to find a way to have a photon or something similar mounted for my navigational light, and the M962SU for actual target identification.

on a side note, i found out that my best friend has a registered M203. it makes a really shitty foregrip.

22. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Yep, they sure do, and they aren't light either. Plus, that damn quadratic sight gets hung on every freakin' think it touches. And believe me, I know -- I've carried one for many, many miles...

23. footratfunkface

yeah, he was a marine, but not too long into his enlistment, he had a medical discharge. he's never fired his 203 with grenades, but he says that flechettes will put some nasty holes in plywood. i don't even know if there are any grenades out there to register. generally, manufacturers don't sell to civilians or to dealers that would sell to civilians, for liability reasons. it'd be worth the $200 tax stamp each, though, to have one or two around.

24. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

I dunno if he could get them or not. So far, all I have found is this stuff: http://www.autoweapons.com/products/destructivedevices.html It looks like loads of fun, but no freakin' boom!

EDIT: Wait, H.E. practice rounds. These are the high explosive practice rounds. I've never used them, but they gotta go BOOM for the price of $350.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2003
  25. Platinum_Thunder

I think I'm just going to pick up a Kimber :o