Shoulderblade

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Victoriono, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victoriono

Victoriono New Member

Hey

I have what's called a winged scapula, or rounded shoulders. My shoulder blades protrudes.

This problem has occured due to poor posture and muscles earlier.

Anyone know what to do to fix this? I searched alot but i keep getting different information on what muscles to exercise etc.

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

I gave you an answer before, straight out of one of the best physical therapy textbooks. Here it is again:

TREATMENT. The emphasis is on correcting the scapular tilting or winging. The tilting is most readily corrected by stretching the pectoralis minor muscle, which usually requires another person's assistance. Serratus anterior muscle retraining and strengthening is also necessary. Quadruped rocking from the position of sitting on the heels where the weight on the shoulder girdle is minimal and rocking forward to the neutral position is a good exercise for controlling the force demands on the serratus anterior muscle.

If the scapula wings in the resting position and during shoulder flexion, then the serratus anterior muscle is weak and strengthening is indicated. If the scapula only wings during the first phase of the motion, the quadruped rocking is a good exercise, but the therapist should monitor to ensure that the scapula does not wing because of excessive load. The exercise with the patient positioned against the wall keeping the scapula fixed against the wall, with the elbow flexed to 120 degrees and then flexing the shoulder to no more than about 60 degrees, is a good way to control the winging occurring on initiation of motion. If the patient can complete shoulder flexion with the elbow flexed and without scapular winging, then he or she should move away from the wall so that the scapula is not restricted while doing upward rotation.

(Sahrmann)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.