Shoulder pain when rotating arm...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by PSUPef2K, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

Likely a rotator cuff injury? Most noticable during bench press, incline press and shoulders. Sharp concentrated pain.

I would rather not stop lifting, but would it be in my best interest? Should I just stop lifting for a few weeks and see if it improves or just go see a doctor about it sooner than later?

2. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

do you have a lot of upper body days all in a row?

3. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

yeah...

Mon/Thurs = Chest/Tri/Shoulders/Traps
    Tues/Fri = Back/Bi/Abs/forearms
    Wed/sat = legs

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

I had those symptoms (still do, not as bad) and it was diganosed as AC arthritis (basically, bone rubbing bone). After a incredibly painful cortisone and lidocaine injection and rest, it is much better. I now split chest and shoulders usually at least 2 days apart and I stretch w/ full ROM before, during, and after lifts involving my shoulder.

5. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

everybody trains differently but the Mon/Thurs workout seems like a ton of shoulder work and in my opinion, if you can train chest, tri's, shoulders, and traps in the same day, you may not be working any one group hard enough. I could never do chest and shoulders in the same day and get a good session in on both groups...

6. Ferrari430

Ferrari430 New Member

I find that my left rotator cuff starts to hurt when I do flat bench. I've found that keeping my arms at a slight angle as I come all the way down solves this issue and I feel no pain. I hope it's not killing my form!

7. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Had that problem for about 6 months. A few things helped quite a bit and got me back on track.

First, you need to figure out where your pain threshold is, and work within it. Light, active recovery got me back to 100% quicker than anything. BUT, if you lift too heavy, you'll be right back to square A, or worse.

Keep reps high, stretch as much as you can (my next point). Foam rolling and stretching will help a ton. DC recommends a certain beach towel exercise that supposedly cures 90% of shoulder problems he's encountered, but I didn't have much luck with it.

It was my right shoulder, and I couldn't move my arm backward at all. Sounds stupid, but I started driving with my right arm behind the passenger side headrest everywhere I went, and it actually helped quite a bit since my flexibility was such shit after getting injured.

Another thing, do LOTS of VERY LIGHT rotator cuff exercises before you lift, and between sets. Whenever I do shoulders now (or even squats since the shoulder positioning can be somewhat uncomfortable), half of my resting time is spent doing rotator cuff exercises between sets.

Epsom salt baths and ibuprofen help as well. :)

8. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

do shoulder dislocations before you lift

9. mandrew

mandrew New Member

personally if I do upper body more than twice a week my elbows and shoulders ache pretty often.

My shoulders also used to kill when doing incline and lateral raises and several other motions... by increasing my mobility and flexibility I can do those exercises pain-free now.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  10. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

11. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I am going to stop lifting for a week and see if it improves. I had 2 hockey games this week and it did not really effect me, so hopefully a week without the lifting helps.

12. <Mark>

<Mark> A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut wit

I had a minor shoulder inmpingment and I started doing exercises such as scaptions and rotator cuff stuff mentioned previously and it has cleared it up nicely.

13. Request.

Request. OT Supporter

Sharp concentrated pain where?

Front, top or back?

14. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

i would say between front/top underneath where my bicep meets the shoulder

15. Request.

Request. OT Supporter

Potentially transverse humoral ligament laxity. It causes the bicipital tendon to snap out of place and go lateral to the groove.

If that's the case there are a lot of things you can do to help.

I have the same thing. It comes from anterior head carriage and medial rotation of the arms.

More than likely you've been working all your flexors (Pecs, Biceps, Lats, Teres Major) and not working enough of your extensors (Tris, Teres Minor, Rhomboids, Infra spinatus)

What I've done for mine is to get it adjusted, ultrasound, ice, and work my extensors.

Get some advice from a Doc on what your specific problem is but, that's what it sounds like to me.

16. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

Thanks! I am definitely not forgetting about my Tris.....the rest of what you listed though I am not sure. So far it's been getting better everyday not working out, so we'll see how it is next Monday and if it is still bothering me I will probably seek advice of a doctor.

17. Spur

Spur Boomer

Possible sprained rotator cuff, or at least symptoms of it.

I was diagnosed with this 6 weeks ago. Bench, incline, and shoulders all have become pretty non-existent for me. I get an incredibly sharp pain approx. under my anterior deltoid when doing attempting to do these lifts.

I'd recommend seeing a doctor anyways ASAP, and in the mean time ice and ibuprofen to hinder swelling. Minimize chest/shoulder workouts or take a couple weeks off from those lifts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.