Shoulder Pain When Benching

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by romostud22, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

I'm getting a sharp pain in my right shoulder when I do any sort of bench press. I think I might have hurt something in there but I'm not sure what. I tried to google and bb.com some results and nobody seemed to have any solution. It's just a sharp stinging pain whenever I do my chest exercises. It hurts the most during flyes. The only thing that I think could have caused it is when I was doing dumbell shoulder press, when I dropped the weight, it kind of bent my hand/arm back and it kinda made my shoulder hurt. If you guys have any insight, I would very much appreciate it!

i was thinking about going to my doc and having him check it out. but besides that is there anything to do besides stretch it out and go lighter weight?

Cliffs: right shoulder hurts while benching, any tips on fixing?

2. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

warm your shoulders up a lot before benching anything. Lower the weight and concentrate on form.

If I had a dollar for every time I had a shoulder pain that lasted 6+ months from lifting I'd have like 4 dollars.

3. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

rotator cuff? :dunno: do you do anything for those?

4. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

shoulder dislocations worked for me a little. try not doing flat bench for awhile do incline decline dips.

5. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

wtf are incline decline dips?

6. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  7. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

before shoulders or chest i always do a 10-15min warmup that includes shoulder dislocations, cuban press with very low weight, shoulder dislocations, arm circles with 2.5 weights, and doing flat bench with just the bar with exaggerated motion. i'm not sure how correct this warmup is but ever since i have been doing it i don't even get clicking in my shoulder anymore. :dunno:

8. mild83

mild83 New Member

Sucks, I just gave up doing any type of barbell chest exercises due to shoulder pain. No matter what I tried to do, warm-up wise seemed to help. DB-only from now on. Sucks, cause I was just about to hit my long-term PR goal of a 400 lb barbell bench.

9. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

same. I can still do it, but can't go heavy on flat or incline, but for whatever reason, decline is fine.

10. Mass

Mass Active Member

i have bad bicipital tendonitis from time to time, and when it first struck, I thought I had another shoulder impingment, but all I really needed was just some time off.

11. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

My left rotator cuff has pain when I do incline bench presses. I don't know why. I have to handle a lot less weight compared to my flat bench.

12. mild83

mild83 New Member

My pain has been constant for a few years. I tried to take time off, but to no avail. Sucks, barbell flat bench was my favorite exercise.

13. HalfPastGone

HalfPastGone OT Supporter

labrum tear

14. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

Sleeper Stretch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TN44cgng88 (don't mind the skinny Asian kid, and don't make it recurring just solid stretch)

Read Page 3 of this.
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...mance_repair/5_more_common_technique_mistakes

Throw in some Side lying external rotations or cable external rotations. Don't do upright rows they blow out you're AC joint. It also leads me to believe that you aren't doing any type of warm-up and if you are its probably some arm circles and a set of 135 before bench, warm-up 5-10 minutes before every workout with dynamic stretches or different types of med ball exercises. I thought warm-up was the biggest bullshit ever until I started doing it, helps a lot with shoulder problems and just better workouts in general.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
  15. Rumbaar

Rumbaar Inherent Omniscience OT Supporter

Are you using a barbell or db's? Most times I've found the fixed nature of the barbell to be the cause of shoulder pain.

Try to go for db's and then you'll be able to position your arms and shoulders to better move them without a fixed ROM and pain causing movement.

16. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. Looks like I need to be doing some stretching before lifting every time now. I'm not super brolly, so I'm thinking maybe I can do the bar for like 10-15 reps just to get warmed up before I do my lifting. http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/physical/injuries/265.html I found this as well online while searching. I'm going to see if I can incorporate what you guys have given me with that.

17. Get_Zwole

Get_Zwole New Member

i cant do anything heavy on barbell because of my shoulders. DB's dont bother it near as bad so i stick with them. That or hammerstrengths.

18. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

Well, when I use the bar, it's when I get the most pain. When I do db's it seems like theres little to no pain at all. So maybe I should just move off the barbell and stick to dumbell?

i youtube shoulder dislocations and some other things you mentioned and found this
    [Y]dNilld58tks[/Y] [Y]XE-solaLTUc[/Y] what do you mean by exaggerated motion? like do it really slow? or what?

19. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

Thanks man. I really appreciate that help. I wasn't doing any warmup on my chest day really.

20. Rumbaar

Rumbaar Inherent Omniscience OT Supporter

I think you are the same as my mate. He has the same deal, can't do the fixed grip of a barbell. But DB's offer little to no pain.

Can try flats/incline on the smith machine and vary up the grip locations of your hands. But I think the fixed ROM of up to down will be the issue with your shoulders. Where the freedom of db's will allow your body to move in a more nature motion in relation to your current bodies needs.

21. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

work on upper back strength

22. romostud22

romostud22 New Member

could you recommend me some workouts?
    pullups/reverse flyes? anything?

23. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

i don't do that cuban press.. i do cuban rotation.. try that one. i do it with a 20bar.

for exaggerated motion i go on the flat bench and do the bar for like 20ish reps for 3 sets and start slow then i do explosive pushes up with very slow lowering to my chest and just really concentrate on form and keeping my shoulder in the same place. kinda tough to explain :dunno:

24. tantrum

tantrum New Member

I remember one of Joe Defranco's videos where he showed several exercises which he did before every chest/shoulder day. I searched YouTube but I couldn't find it. Does anyone have the link?
    Edit: In it he explained the sleeper stretch, shoulder dislocations, and some other exercises

25. dwarfcat

dwarfcat COLTS FTMFW

my left shoulder is currently screwed........feels like I lose power in that arm when benching,, this is the second time. Last time I took a week and a half off and it felt ok coming back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.