Shoulder pain and squats

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by crown royal, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

Checked the archives and stickies, didn't see anything. I've been squatting about 2 months now, and usually with pretty good success. I use what I suppose is a high bar position, atop my traps. I tend to use a wider grip, because my left shoulder tends to get a pain when it is flexed that far back.

Last week while squatting, my dad was watching me and suggested that I switch to a lower bar position. I tried this and immediately my the pain that usually radiates in my shoulder was worse. I tried with light weights, but no matter what when I tried to put my hands around shoulder level, it just hurts. Putting weight on it makes my left arm go numb.

I've done some reading, and can't tell if this is a flexibility issue, rotator cuff strain or pinched nerve. I think I will focus on really stretching my shoulders and strengthening my rotator cuff before my next squats. If it persists perhaps a doctor or chiro?

Wanted to get F&N broly advise - is this common for a younger lifter, just something I need to work through?

2. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

Don't work through it. Maybe try front squats for now while you are stretching and working on shoulder flexibility and scapular/rotator function.

3. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.