!!!Shoulder Injury!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Pace, Apr 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pace

Pace Guest

Injured my rotator cuff...

I injured it on Friday, haven't touched a weight since then, hoping it would just go away. Believe it or not it hurt more and more, so I went to the doctor today. Sharp stabbing pain in the underlying shoulder muscles and joint area definately worse than I've ever experienced before.

Luckily, the doctor and my chiropractors work together in a Sports Rehab Clinic. First the doc tested my shoulder thoroughly, and immediately said, "injured rotator cuff."

She stated the best treatment would be cortozone and anti-inflammatory steroid injection, ultrasound, and strengthening exercises. The shot was not fun, but at least she numbed my shoulder first with Novacaine. But cortozone must be injected with a thick long needle deep into the muscle by the joint. This was my first cortozone shot ever.

I am home now recovering, started doing my rotator cuff strengthening exercises. I return for another ultrasound tomorrow, more strengthening exercises, and back to the gym on Monday hopefully.

Moral of the story be careful with the shoulder joints, strengthen your rotators, and don't get old. Who would have thought such a small muscle would cause so much pain.

2. arch

arch HELP!

Ouch man:( Well, looks like your on your way to a good recovery. Good luck:bigthumb:
    Hmmm. maybe they can prescribe you with some GH.. :big grin::big grin::big grin:

3. Fatghost28

Fatghost28 Guest

good luck!

4. Pace

Pace Guest

Thanks, I hope so. I just feel uncomfortable about the cortozone, I've heard so many pros and cons. But I discussed with the doc and both chiropractor, who are good friends and are big weight lifters. I made this post so other people can see how important it is to spend a few minutes a week strengthening their rotators and really warming up the shoulder joints before lifting.

Maybe you can post one of those great links you have for rotator strengthening exercises.

5. Pace

Pace Guest

Thanks, I plan on using this a motivational material to kick ass.

6. arch

arch HELP!

7. Pace

Pace Guest

GH, isn't a problem. I have a legit source and was planning on loading up on around May 1st. Goal is to be 225 lbs and about 9-10% bodyfat by end of October. Plus that sh*t really helps your joints and tendons.

8. arch

arch HELP!

Sweet.... but if they prescribe, you can get insurance to pay for it, if it's on your insurance plan. How good would that be.

9. Pace

Pace Guest

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thanks alot.

10. Pace

Pace Guest

Already checked, those dicks at Blue Cross don't know anything about progressive medicine. Would be nice though, stuff is very, very expensive.

11. arch

arch HELP!

Yeah, i know. Too damn expensive, unless you got as real good friend sellin it to ya.

12. Pace

Pace Guest

Those exercises are great. The important thing is don't use more than 5-10 lbs. It's important to really isolate the muscles. And like I said once or twice a week, especially on chest/bench day.

13. Pace

Pace Guest

Even friends can't sell it very cheaply, it's the US Pharmacutical companies that charge a fortune for it. Some foreign pharmacies may have it cheaper, but I wouldn't trust the quality.

14. arch

arch HELP!

Yeah, i do those every so often when i feel my shoulder is a little tender or sore. It's also a great way to warm em up before working out shoulders.

15. phatmonky

phatmonky Guest

16. Pace

Pace Guest

Yeah, I remember your thread. Just try to research once you get the list of docs. I really trust the Rehab people I go to. Hopefully yours won't be as bad. Try not to wait too much longer.:bigthumb:

17. Fatghost28

Fatghost28 Guest

I stickied this thread so everyone can read about the rotator cuff exercises and because proper care of a shoulder injury and prevention of further injury is extremely important

18. Pace

Pace Guest

Thanks, Ghost, it really is a very important issue and very painful injury.

19. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

Wow, glad to hear that you are going to recover soon. You can never be too careful with shoulders. Keep us posted.

BTW how did you hurt it?

20. Pace

Pace Guest

That's the funny part, I trained chest last Friday including heavy flat, incline benches and weighted dips. I dont' remember any specific thing happening. I just felt extra sore on Monday, two days later. And then felt more sore each day after. But, I didn't do as good of a job of warming up the rotators as I usually do. Usually, I do three of four sets of the exercise arch's link shows lying on your side on a bench with a very, light dumb bell.

And I also always do a really good job of warming up for bench, set of 25 reps with 155 lbs, set of 20 with 205 lbs, and set of 16-18 with 225 lbs. My friends usually make fun of me about the high reps, but I tell em it's for the shoulders. Just shows you can't be too careful and that weight training can be a dangerous sport. I've seen and had lots of injuries. This is a primary reason of why I post here, to show others first experiences and information so they don't make the same mistakes.

Thanks for the support. Like I said I'm going to use this to my advantage to make me stronger and smarter than before. Defiantly will post updates so others can learn. The quick recovery is my idea, I don't like being away from the gym for more that 7-10 days unless it's really serious. :bigthumb:

21. Pace

Pace Guest

Update:

I awoke this morning to no pain whatsoever. Yesterday I received a cortozone shot (Kenalog) mixed with a type of Novacain. Then an ultrasound treatment. I returned to work, but was still feeling a constant dull ache when sitting still, to a very sharp pain on any left arm movement.

I left work early, iced my shoulder, and did some rotator exercises. I went to bed early and awoke to no pain. The doctor had told me it would take a about a day or so for the cortozone to work and she was right. I returned for another ultrasound today and now the shoulder feels as good as new.

I plan on going to the gym today to do some more rotator strengthening exercises with a light dumb bell and some very light back exercises. I think I will be able to start back Monday at about 75-80%. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that cortozone worked for. I have always heard about the chances being 50% chances for it working or not.

22. Fatghost28

Fatghost28 Guest

Glad to hear you're recovering fast.

:bigthumb:

23. Pace

Pace Guest

Thanks Ghost, that was some serious pain. And I've had broken bones and have herniated discs in my lumbar spine. Just have to be careful not to push too hard, too fast.

24. totaly

totaly Guest

BLLLAH BLAH BLLEEEECHHHHH:eek: :barf:

I HATE CORTIZON SHOTS:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

25. I'm going through the same injury. Rotator cuff! I tried everything, lifting very light was the key for me. The cortizone you know will fool you and you're gonna start lifting heavy to soon, take it easy

Heres what honestly helped me out, I didn't thinik it would work but I was willing to try anything. 6 sessions and I'm about 90%. Give it a try, insurance will cover. I'm sure you read the good reviews on the underground boards, lot of BB's give it props.

http://www.activerelease.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.