should you ice a back injury

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by T-R-T, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

I hurt my back at the gym and now I feel a tightening sensation in the middle of my back what should I do?

2. TZ

TZ Banned

when i hurt my back, i took a few tylenol and put an icy hot patch on my back. it made the pain go away :bowdown:

3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

stretch, foam roll, ibuprofen/naproxsen, ice.

If it just feels tight you might have strained an erector... happens to me once a month and doing any combination of two of the above makes it go away real fast. I rarely use drugs for it, foam rolling works best and ice just feels good anyway.

4. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Yea chiro said my left erector is inflamed. I'm glad it's muscular because when it happened it felt like my spine broke or something.

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

word dude... you'll learn to identify erector strain vs. spinal injury pretty fast.

Some people describe muscular vs skeletal pains as dull tooch achey feel as opposed to sharp stinging pain... for me that analogy is inapt, it's just a feeling that you learn to identify through experience. I've never really hurt my spine though so maybe if it happens I'll realize what other people mean.

6. benny196

benny196 New Member

When I feel a tightening in my back I usually just lie down, last time it started to spasm so I put my feet up on a pillow and that really helped to take pressure off of it.

7. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

you can use whatever feels good...but for an acute injury I'd go for ice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.