GUN Should you be paranoid about a Demo in office?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cptbimes, Mar 21, 2008.

1. cptbimes

cptbimes New Member

I got to thinking and talking with my gun dealer and he suggested that I should buy all the magazines i could reasonably for my guns that held over 10 rds. that I could.

I got two for the XD and 5 for the AR.

What probability would you put on another ban coming back in if a Dem. gets in office? Think of the profit you could make during the ban (or after because prices would still be higher).

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i thought this thread was going to be about construction in the workplace :o

i would say it is a safe bet to have a lot of high cap mags ANYWAY, but the fact there might be another ban is another reason :dunno:

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

can someone just copy and past my usual on this please? :rofl:

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

It's simple logic. You have democrats who every year since the last AWB expired have brought up the revised AWB for vote. Every year it's luckily shot down but only barely. Now we have democrats in the majority in congress so it's very likely the next time it comes up, it will pass.

The only thing that would stop it from going through is a veto by the president. McCain might veto it, Obama and Hillary both have stated they support another AWB and would encourage it's resubmission.

So you do the math.

5. cptbimes

cptbimes New Member

that made me chuckle.

6. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

ill buy an AR before then

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Here's last year's attempt
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022

and to just browse through it....

Now, what is rather bad is this definition...

This is so vague that it can be legally argued that ALL guns have a "grip". "Any other characteristic"? a standard rifle stock falls into that catagory.

Also this one...

Since all guns came from designs for military and law enforcement use, even if your gun doesn't fall under all the classifications above it can still be classified as illegal simply by the Attorney General deciding it is after the bill is passed. This clause is a real important one as it leaves the door wide open for the government to add anything it wants to it's list after the law goes into effect with really no way to argue it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  8. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Basically they want to ban anything that looks "evil" or is fun to own

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Looks like Roberti-Roos, Kasler, and SB-23 to me :coolugh:

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

welcome to CA :wtc:

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i was just thinking that :sad2:

12. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

:mamoru:

13. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

I'm buying all the barrel shrouds I can find since they are evil and will be banned any day now

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

As you pointed out yourself, this isn't true. HR1022 is the most recent example and not only didn't make it to a vote, but only got 60 cosponsors out of the entire house.

The sky isn't falling guys. The current attemps at antigun legislation in a congress with a democratic majority dont even make it to debate. Gun sales are through the roof, people are still thinking about katrina and 9/11. Concealed carry is at all time high and rising in popularity. Gun control is a losing proposition and gun grabbers dont have the public support for it. That isn't to say to be complacent or to not keep an eye on things but to say "the democrats are going to vote in a ban" is just hysteria.

What profit? I don't even know what the text of this ban would be, isn't it early to assume I could keep what I have let alone sell what I have? Which brings me to the next related point, the 1994 ban was a flop. There is no statistical measure that shows it did anything. This means for a new ban they'd be faced with 2 options. They would have to make the ban the same (grandfathering, transfers, etc) and explain to people why they want to do the same ineffective thing twice or make the ban harsher and sell the public on why they want to take their guns. I'm not saying a ban couldn't happen but the political climate is way different than 1994, I don't see any reason to feel that one is imminent.

thedude11 :rofl:

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Even if there was a ban that made the price of mags sky rocket, just think of all the mag whores who have hundreds of thousands specifically to sell (I know some of them :mamoru:.) Chances are you're just going to have a bunch of mags sitting around that you have no use for. If you must spend your money, spend it on ammo, at least you'll be able to shoot it.

Buy what mags you need and be happy with it. If you're looking to make a profit, there's much better ways to invest your money.

16. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

yep, political climate is different. :rolleyes:

17. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Goddamit, I want my shoulder thing that goes up to stay in my hot little hands!!!1

:rant2:

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Your debate skills could use some polishing.

(I'm right nanner nanner *raspberries*)

19. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

There's nothing to debate. Only reason I could see anyone thinking it won't happen is because they refuse to believe the party they support have a history of gun restrictions/regulations/bans.

The political climate if anything is more ripe for an AWB with the media focus on school shootings, war and with the SCOTUS ruling.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

How could you possibly figure that? The public is snapping up guns at an extremely fast rate, they're having ccw laws passed, the anti's can't even pass a high cap magazine ban here in illinois. What would make you believe the general public is supporting gun control right now?

21. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  22. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm not sure what those are supposed to prove. We see a ton of anti bills in illinois every year. Chicago reps always want a million new bans, we hold them off every year. Politicans everywhere introduce bills that don't pass. For example, here's a bill for ammo serialization in arizona http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/48leg/2r/bills/hb2833p.htm It was introduced for its symbolism rather than because that rep believed it would pass, the same goes for HR1022/federal awb. My point remains, if year after year these bans are introduced here in IL and can't even be passed here, why do you think reps from states that are far more gun friendly will be passing bans?

23. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

The Dems are getting smarter and realizing that they can't take guns away from us now.

Now, they pass "sensible restrictions" in the form of microstamping ammo and firing pins and the like... I'm more worried about them raising the prices and making it unaffordable for everyone except the rich. :sad2:

24. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Your point requires that the political climate remains stagnant.

Not sure if you remember but before the first AWB came along it was quite similar to what it is now. the AWB bill was brought forward and shot down thanks to a Republican President willing to veto it should it ever come to him.
    Then Clinton won and it was by his encouragement that the AWB was brought back up again for vote and this time with a democrat congress and white house, it passed.
    So yes, while year after year these restrictions are brought up, we are facing identical political situation again.

25. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Not at all, I'm viewing it more as a pendulum. You need some level of public support, or at least lack of interest, to make legislation on an issue. The pendulum has been swinging our way for years. To my knowledge gun sales weren't like this in 1994. To my knowledge there was no surge toward personal responsibility for self defense in 1994 like we've seen from 9/11 and katrina as evidenced by gun sales and an incredible spread of shall issue ccw. What factors were there around 94 to make it seem like the public was generally pro gun ownership or at least accepting it like we have today for the most part? I would also remind you that we have a democratically controlled house and senate and a president that has agreed to sign an awb. 1022 is still stalled.

If we seeed the tides turned, some shall issue states turning may issue, illinois passing its own bans, gun sales in the dumps, helmke getting air time, million mom marches being blown up by the media....then yeah I'd say the pendulum is swinging the other way and to brace yourself. Right now I think there's considerable momentum to overcome before an anti could hope for as crushing a blow as a federal awb.

Fun debate though. Come on onlookers, join in. I know you're out there when you're not numbering your 200th magazine and polishing that 25th lower receiver ;) I certainly can condemn anyone for planning for the worst, just don't give up the fight and accept it as inevitable because its far from it.