LGBT Should this bother me?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by RedGoober4Life, Dec 13, 2005.

1. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

So I'm sitting in my instrumental chemical analysis lab diluting calcium chloride to run through the AAS, and my professor was on the computer and says,

"Oh, look, Elton John is getting married"

And I said, "I wonder what his name is going to be."

Then my professor says, "He should be shot....." This made me stop with my wonderful PPM calculation and think to myself now that's really....not nice. And the more I thought about it the more it bothered me.

Not that it was Elton John, because I really wouldn't want anybody to be shot. However, it was just the point of the matter. The more and more I think about it, the more and more I'm bothered.

And I know I shouldn't even begin to take this at the personal level, however it just seems like an awfully mean thing to say. Or even believe. And I understand people believe this, but I don't necessarily think a college lab is the forum to say it.

:confused:

Less than a week left. I don't think I'm going to be taking the second half of this (two semester course). This gets to me a bit too much.

2. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

You have every right to be upset at your professor's comments. If I was you, I would have said something to him after class and if you got no satisfaction with his response, filed a formal complaint.

All too frequently we sit back and let the bigots get away with their hatred because we are afraid to speak up.

I have stood up for who I am in the past, ie gay, and have run into problems - been fired from one job and had a contract with another company terminated because I filed a complaint against the VP for his homophobic hate filled comments at a company meeting. Yeah it cost me, but if society is to change, we all have to pay a bit of the price.

If it is not too late, complain to someone who will listen. And also let the college know why you are not taking part II with this guy.

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

you're like a gay Rosa Parks. :eek5:

:mamoru:

4. sholnay

sholnay New Member

i could see that being pretty bothersome.... that would have been outright shocking.

I tend to have this foggy view of higher level educational institutes as being an open, hate free environment - at least to the point where bigots will not be bigots while there. Takes all kinds :ugh:

5. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

I'm sorry pum'kin, because that sucks. And you have every right to take that comment personally! I'm not trying to galvanize you into political activism or anything, but if it were me, I would make a formal complaint. Especially as the professor voicing such a comment makes you not un-enroll from the course. Again, I'm really sorry to hear this.

6. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

It's in my best interest to wait until grades are submitted. I'm going to talk to the department chairperson after, but I'm told not much will happen. I may even be shooting my own foot with my organic chem professor (although they don't seem to like eachother, so I doubt that she would do that to me if I explained it to her). Actually she's sort of a hippie so she probably would understand.

And the more I think about it, the more I'm looking at taking another course in place of this one. Possibly the second half of my intermediate Spanish course that I'm taking this semester, since I really like the professor for that. Or Journalism I....or social psychology. I've had enough chemistry--it's really boring.

7. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

You don't have to even mention the fact that you are gay, the comment alone (if we ignore the homophobic remark) is pretty out of the line, the professor is supposed to be an example for us to follow, there is nothing good about a professor "professing" that someone "shot get shot" over anything, file a complain based on this and if they take the hint you can add the other bit.

I did something similar a few years ago, we had a girl (the typical cutie that is rather slow) and our teacher would force her to go to the blackboard and solve the stuff he wrote there...of course it was hard for her but he loved making fun of how slow she was until one day he made her draw a vertical line from top to bottom...and continue drawing the line through the wall until the floor, when she finished he said "that's what I wanted to see, you on all fours", at this point I got infuriated and demanded him to apologize, he said no, I requested it again and he again said no and threatened me....I took her hand and walked out of the classroom directly to the Mathematics director, filed a complain and got him fired.

This is to show you that us, as students, have some power. :)

8. crashspeeder

crashspeeder Interesting Title

file a complaint

9. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

I agree completely...
    His comments were out of line and must be addressed by the proper authority at school, as soon as possible.