Should my laptop be able to play .mkv @ 1080?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Daiz4yota, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Daiz4yota

Daiz4yota OT's ENT/Facial Plastics MD OT Supporter

I know that right now, it lags a lot during playback. It skips about every 1-2 seconds. I was just wondering if its even possible to get it to play them, or if I should start looking into an HTPC build. I have tried playing .mkv with VLC player, as well as WMP classic with codecavc. Both didnt work. I have an IBM Lenovo X60 thats 1.8ghz with 2gb of ram. Im not sure about the video card, and im not at home with it. Its basically this setup up
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2701
    90gb hard drive as well, with about 8gb free if that even matters. I feel like if I could free up some of the ram (no idea how to do that), it would help, since it HAS played fine in the past for a min or so.

2. Chris

Chris New Member

1.8 ghz what? celeron? sempron? core2duo? phenom? Plus its probably the video card (or lack thereof) that is holding you back. Most laptops come with onboard video to save space, weight and money. Usually you have to buy a "gaming" or high performance desktop replacement to get a decent mobile graphics card.

3. Homeless

Homeless New Member

core2duo = yes

coreduo = If you disable deblocking with coreavc it may be possible, but don't get your hopes up

4. Chris

Chris New Member

Its the GMA950 thats killing you, so basically no, you will not be able to play 1080p any better than you already can.

The only option you have is to check in your BIOS and see if you can devote any more RAM to the video, but thats about it.