A&P Should my friends pay $1500 for this wedding photographer?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wobistdu, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

http://aclickphoto.com/

I have mixed feelings, but $1500 is pretty good. They get like 4-6 hrs plus a few prints and digital copies.

What do you guys think?

2. Section8

Section8 .

I'm no pro, but a lot of those pictures look pretty soft and the composition isn't great. Some of the detail shots aren't even in focus, and they have one shot of a bride standing in the middle of a street with hillbilly redneck trucks parked down the street. No real eye for what else is in the frame. Don't get me started on the music on the website - even though i do like Peter Gabriel.

:dunno:

$1500 for 6 hours of work seems a bit steep to me too given that portfolio, but then again I'm not getting paid to do weddings yet either.

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yah i'm in the middle, leaning towards the dislike side (if that makes sense)

a lot of her photos the composition does suck. for the candid shots, i only really like the last one of the little girl by the stream

a lot of her shots are "distracting"

1st pic traditional - the brides neck is weird and the one tendon is nasty and distracting

one pic a girl is in the audience taking pics of the bride... totally ruins the pic

i'm totally newbish and far from being good, but i would expect a wedding photographer to be pretty good. not totally thrilled with this person

4. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

what does a "good" wedding photographer go for?

i was almost getting married like a year ago and we had a photographer booked. she was a relatively young girl who was new, but her pictures were damn good. i remember them having a very surreal and majestic way about them

of course now i have a better eye for stuff as i'm trying to learn pictures

5. mojito

mojito New Member

2500+

I charge 1500 to show up, then add on an album/prints/DVD . . .

6. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i said "good" :ugh:

LOL i kid, i havent even seen your stuff

being in rural PA, their options are limited. i feel a lot of good photographers are more in cities. maybe it's a false myth

7. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

Do your friends like her pictures? I mean her price seems fair, and her style is her style. If they like it, then why not? I certainly would not choose a photographer whose pictures my wife and I dont like but my friend does like

8. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

9. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Boring shots, horrid website.

10. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

11. johan

johan Active Member

soft, fuzzy, and oddly dark /poorly exposed, and awkward compositions.

12. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Have your friend call me, we an work a deal :naughty:

13. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

dont u live in florida?

14. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

girth if u are willing to travel to PA next June or July, i could pass the idea to them

paying $1500 for medicore work is depressing if we could get you up here for whatever price you're thinking

they aren't loaded, but i could kick the idea around of covering a nice chunk as their wedding present

i like your portfolio on the site

15. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

shit that means you would be photographing me, cuz i'll be in the wedding party

OH NOES

16. Girth

I'll travel, did it for KDubb's wedding. Make sure they know they would have to cover the flight, the stay, and the shooting fees. :)

17. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

when you get a chance... PM me some details. If they wanted, I would pay your flight/stay/etc and they could pay for the shoot like you weren't traveling.

I don't want to "force" them in to anything but by all means after looking a bit her work seems not so good for $1500. they agree and are looking for other options

18. Girth

I think the guy is just new at the game. I'm pretty new too I guess, but thanks to OTAP, I'm a better photog today than I was last year. :naughty:

He seems to be posing his clients in the same poses for all the weddings. The 'lean in, facing each other' kiss pose is possibly the dumbest pose he has. Looks so uncomfortable. :hsugh:

19. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

When choosing photos to use in one's portfolio, you'd normally choose the Creme de la Creme. With that in mind, there were many, many photos, portraits in particular, and candids pulling a close second, that just sucked. It makes me wonder, what isn't he showing us? For $1500, 6 hours, and a couple of prints, i'd want more confidence that my photographer can really deliver consistant, quality products. His portfolio isn't showing me that. Some of his work is very nice... much of it is not. Keep looking.

20. Girth

whats their total budget? thats a very important part of the equation

21. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah good point about wanting to show your 10/10 shots

22. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

your travel expense and expense for losing a day aside... $2kish

23. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

If you were in columbus ohio for $1500 the work on that site is a bargain and since your in PA your close to the same regional price average.

I don't see any real problems with the pictures. I'm thinking the customer doesn't mind the "hillbilly trucks" in the background since one shot has a bride leaning on a real nice chevy:) Hehe were I grew up my mud truck was part of our wedding YEEHAW.

24. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

do you duel with banjos, and does the phrase: "you shur do gots a purdy mouth" find regular use in your area? :hsugh:

25. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

http://www.derienzophotography.com/

they are looking at this guy too. i think his pics are pretty terrible

the red bouquet in front of the dress on the multi-patter curtains = :ugh2: