A&P Should just sell the camera... :hsd:

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jdw, Sep 10, 2006.

1. jdw

jdw New Member

:hsd: :)rofl:)

over $1800 into equipment and I've got a lot of work to do. Tried shooting an import car show and failed miserably. :rolleyes:

Guess I'm just looking to get torn apart and maybe fed a few pointers.

Needs a crop
    [​IMG]

Needs a crop to get rid of that top hot spot and I feel it's a tad overexposed (although I still didn't like the shot that's a step down)
    [​IMG]

flourescents and ugly reflections FTL
    http://www.dubbsy.com/perfect10/p10_0003.jpg

got the DOF I wanted, but framing is crap (next time I'll take the tripod off the camera :nono:)
    http://www.dubbsy.com/perfect10/p10_0005.jpg

So what's the best way to deal with shitty lighting like this? Bright spots here and there, strobes, and extremely dark spots.
    http://www.dubbsy.com/perfect10/p10_0006.jpg

(figured you might like this one)
    Focus is crap, lighting is crap, impatient models is crap.
    [​IMG]

(the only one I'm remotely amused by, even though the background sucks)
    [​IMG]

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

so you went out and bought $1800 worth of equipment before you knew how to use it properly?

3. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Don't feel too bad. Import / tuner shows, especially indoors, are a bitch to shoot. Once you get some practice, you'll learn what settings to use, how to time your shots to avoid obtrusions (ie people), what angles to work to minimize reflections, and focusing improvements (ie using external flash to AF but have it not fire... going with a longer shutter speed w/ the tripod).

When shooting models at the show, use the flash for faster shutter or you'll usually get some blur. Models can't stand as still as cars :hsd:

4. nicklk

nicklk New Member

I think your pics turned out pretty good :dunno:

5. Like derrict said, shooting car shows can be a bitch. And just when you think you have all the equipment to have a great time shooting cars at a car show you find yourself thinking. Wow a wider lens, tripod, flash, flash bracket, extra battery, extra memory, cable release would have been nice to have and made my shots better. Just consider every car show a learning experience. I've been doing going to car shows for 4 or 5 years now and I still run into things I never expected.

6. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK www.JJiGz.com

I'm going to SEMA in november, and i'd really like to get some good shots of the models and cars, i have NO IDEA wut to expect, but 4 day car show outta be good experience.. hopefully i can learn alot from that.

7. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

im going to SEMA as well this year, been going the last couple years, its freakin insane. Very hard to get a proper shot with all the people in the way and over half the shots i take end up being just decent pictures in a snap-shot sort of way. Theres a ton of lights all over the place as well.

Your lucky that your spending four days on the one show. We are going for my dad's business so we only get 2 days, one for the main show and another at the Show thats at the Sands. I decided im not going to take the video camera this year and focus more on getting better pictures than making videos

8. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Busy shows like SEMA are possible with an ultra wide angle lens where you stand about 2-3' from the subject.

9. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

yeah most of my shots are close up ones because when i backed up to get a better shot people kept walking in my way. After looking at my shots again a ton of them have Bright Reflections in them. I also forgot my lens hood last time so that didnt help

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  10. not to mention good flash with bracket.

Also if you want to take pics of cars a good tripod with cable release. (if it's too dark) also if you can get access to take pics before or after all the spectators arrive/leave.

11. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

better camera does not = better photographer

12. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

it doesnt?? :wtc:

13. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

I have seen awesome photographs taken with a piece of shit point and shoot 3 megapixel digital cameras snapped by very seasoned photographers.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  14. jdw

jdw New Member

ehhh, yeah. I threw the flash in on a few of them and I just didn't like the way they came out. Needed to get some light in the background as well.

2 things I do know I need before I do it again - a good tripod (realized the one I've got is crap and WAY too flimsy for this big of camera - wanted a new one anyway) and a cable shutter release (although if I get a good tripod it may not be such an issue.

Fired off 1400 rounds at the racetrack yesterday though that I'm happy with. :big grin:

(and yes, I bought $1800 in camera equipment with VERY little background in SLR style photography. Photography just so happens to be one of the few things I'm totally in love with so I'm ready and willing to learn and shoot like mad)

15. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Quality not quantity is what you should look at. It's good that you have a good attitude towards photography but you'll see soon enough that you'll be shooting less and getting a better keeper:loser ratio. Also keep in mind that your camera does have a shutter-life ;)

16. jdw

jdw New Member

:doh:

I know, it'll give me a reason to upgrade.

but yeah - drag racing, I shot everything in 5fps continuous - shoot 3-5 frames every launch, few frames during a burnout.. over about 8 hours..
    adds up quick :hsd:

17. joew

joew New Member

the last photo is very good// thanks sharing with us//

18. jdw

jdw New Member

I've actually got a few from the races yesterday of the same car. Basically the same shot but with a drag strip in the background instead of a wall.

19. joew

joew New Member

I would like to see it :)