Should I wipe off Vista and go to XP on a brand new laptop?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Flea420, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Flea420

Flea420 New Member

A friend at work wants to buy a new laptop. Just for simple web browsing and work related stuff, and transed of MP3's and such.

Anyway, I know nothing about vista, and I'm wondering if the best thing to do since now most latops come with vista, is to simply switch it to XP?

I just dont want him having issues connection his cel phone to the system, and the fact he'll use it at home and on our workplace's network.

Or is their nothing to really worry about?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Good luck getting drivers for XP for most brand name machines that are coming with Vista pre-loaded. I've had surprisingly new compatibility issues with Vista and I've been running it since November. Any issues there are, are getting resolved quickly. Try his cell phone on Vista and deal with it if it isn't.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Vista's new features probably appeal most to Joe User, so if anybody will be able to get anything out of Vista, it will be your friend with his basic computing needs.

That said, a computer that runs Vista well will run XP like a rocket, so it's certainly worth a shot -- just make a full backup of the hard drive before you wipe it clean, so if you can't get XP to work right you can put Vista back on.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Manufacturers were still providing W2K drivers for several years after XP was released.

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Why not try Vista first and then move to XP if you have issues with it?

It's not nearly as bad as previous 'new release' versions of Windows.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Only because it's so new that nobody really knows what's wrong with it yet. Remember how there was a zero-day exploit ready for Vista before it was even released to the public?

7. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

That's true, I've just heard horror stories of the first release XP which would install from the CD then say you don't have a CD-ROM drive :ugh: -- Vista feels just as good as XP SP2, though who knows what's lurking beneath.