Should I was a car that I have never waxed before?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by SolidRanger, Mar 16, 2009.

1. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

OK I've got a 1994 Honda Civic that I bought as a cheap car for college. It has a bright red aftermarket paint job on it, not sure who did that.

The paint is looking a bit dull and the hood is oxidizing.

Anyone have any tips on getting rid of the oxidation. It goes away with a good rubbing but I want to get rid of it without scratching up the paint.

Also I have never waxed or polished it before. Would there be any benefit to waxing/polishing such an old car? If so, what kind of wax or polish should I use?

Thanks for your help

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Read the detailing EDU and the swirl removal by hand sticky.

Your best bet will be Meguiars polishes since most were developed when single stage paint was common and work very well at removing oxidation.

If you want the car to shine again, then it is worth polishing and waxing it.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: If I were in your shoes, I'd go pick up the three step Meguiar's Deep Crystal System -- includes a paint cleaner, polish, and wax. If you don't want to do the three step system, you could pick up some ColorX as a one-step, or grab Scratch-X 2.0 and NXT 2.0 to give it a two step.

As far as I'm concerned, it's almost NEVER a bad thing to polish/wax a vehicle. The only time it's not worth it is if the paint is so thin you can see the primer through it.