should i wait on buying a mac mini?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Nov 23, 2005.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

ok, i've always worked with windows but lusted over macs, i used to have an original imac, but it was sold on ebay a while ago to a collector. i built my own computer last year, it works ok, except yesterday when it was giving me odd problems, the motherboard manufactuer said it was caused by bad memory, whatever.

anyways, i love the mac mini, i would love to have a small quiet sleek and fast computer. currently my windows computer is an AMD athlon 64 3000+ with a gig of ram, dvd burner, ati all in wonder 9600, decent amount of hard drive space etc. i use it mainly as an internet surfer, itunes, some dvd/cd burning, light video capturing, paper writing, light website producing, photography...nothing too processor dependent. i don't do any gaming at all.

i'm wondering if i should go for the mac mini now, or wait till they come out with a new one, rumor said something about more multimedia coming out in january... i don't want to be like my friend that just bought an ipod photo, then they came out with the ipod video a week later. is it true that apple is coming out with leopard?

i have 512 mb of ram to add to it, i've read that there is not much noticible difference between the 1.25 ghz and the 1.42 ghz. i have a wireless router, but it wouldn't need to be wireless, it's only 2 feet from the computer. i have a bluetooth usb adapter. only thing that kinda sucks is that i want to keep it in the same area as my windows computer (not much space) so, i would like to share the monitor, mouse, and keyboard. my keyboard/mouse combo is wireless logitech premium web model. i would need a ps/2 to usb converter, because the mouse is ps/2 only. would that work with a mac? can i buy a switch that would switch the video/keyboard/mouse between 2 machines?

i don't think i would need a mac mini with a super drive, because of the dvd burner on my windows machine.

also, what kinda of video input capture options do i have for rca/s-video? i can't decide to wait or buy it now...!

2. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

Leopard wont be out for a long time. Probably about a year. I have the 1.25 mac mini and it is indeed small quiet and sleek. It will do everythign you want to do without problems, except for video capture. The computer only has one dimm, so if you want to have 1GB of ram, you will need a 1GB module.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

oh, that kinda sucks that it only holds one stick of memory at a time....nuts.
    anyone want to comment on the rumor about it having more multimedia capabilties?

4. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

Only rumors Ive heard about the mini recently was that it was to be the first intel mac, to be announced at MWSF. I think that rumor has now changed to ibooks.