Should I upgrade my machine?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jackhole, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I currently have a G4/400 with 320 MB of RAM. My machine is pretty sluggish sometimes while opening browser windows, using Safari with a lot of windows open and while using many programs at once (don't have the option of using less programs at once).

I want to upgrade my machine, but what do I need to do? Processor upgrade? RAM upgrade? If you suggest upgrading the processor, please post a link to a page with information on the upgrade.

TIA.

2. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

I would just max out the RAM. I used to have a G4/400 and it surfed the internet just fine with a gig of RAM. SDRAM is really cheap.

At just 320MB, OS X is not going to be running as efficiently as it can. OS X changes its memory management when you have a lot of free memory, and it makes a noticeable difference.

I would hesitate to run OS X at less than 512 MB, and since you have tons of crap running you really do need to max it out.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  3. Fubar

Fubar OT Supporter

I had what was originally a G4 450 and I upgraded to a 1.2GHz Sonnet card about a year ago. It costed about $400 shipped then, and to me it was well worth it. My computer was like a new machine after the upgrade. Your memory isn't too bad, so I doubt adding more memory is going to make THAT big of a difference...atleast not compared to a processor upgrade (although I know you can never have enough memory!). But I guess it all depends on your budget, but to me it was well worth it to upgrade the processor.

Here's one place where you can find decent prices on some upgrades for your machine...the card I bought is now only $350...and a 1GHz is only $245. They also have some benchmarks that compare the original processor to the upgrades they have.

G4 400 processor upgrades

4. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

You would be surprised how well OS X reacts to having a ton of RAM. :)

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:werd: I have a Quicksilver 800 with 1.12GB RAM and that's why it's chugging along so nicely, despite being 3 years old already :cool:

6. migwuk

migwuk New Member

Comp USA has PNY 512MB ram notebook DDR333 for $64.99 after the rebate. I do not know what ram you can use, but someone reading this thread might can use it. It made a difference with my 1G iMac.

7. Auream

Auream New Member

I'd say definitely add another 256MB of RAM, anything more than that though is probably overkill. Processor is a little tricky, since you can quickly get to the point where you're better off just selling and getting a decent-priced QuickSilver or something on eBay. I'd say if you can get something around 1GHz for a reasonable price (under $250 or so), that's probably worth it.

8. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Yeah, I was looking at a 512 MB stick, it was pretty cheap - on pricewatch or something, I can't remember now. Thanks for the info, buddy. :big grin:

When/why did you move to FL? :eek3:

9. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

10. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Do you have one of the 1st gen G4's? Is Tiger compatible with processor upgrades? I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't.

11. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Another vote for adding RAM before you spend money on processor upgrades. RAM's cheap. Depending on how you use the machine, RAM may do the trick. It will definitely make a difference, but if you're still not happy, then go for the other hardware upgrades mentioned.